Sheffield to have best roads in the UK

Mecky

Well , compare two countries:

Here, where the Government steals 3/4 of the money paid in road taxes and spends it on other things instead, leading us to have only 5% more motorways than we had 25 years ago.

Or France, where the motorways are funded and built by private companies, like Shell, who then get the tolls back - and spend them on building MORE motorways - so France now has THREE TIMES the motorways it had 25 years ago...

I went past Lyon in the rush hour on the Autoroute Du Soleil, and it was quieter than the M1 was at 3am on my way down to the ferry! And there are lovely picnic areas with CLEAN toilets - free to use by all. You don;t have to pay overpriced Motorway Services rates to stop.

In this country, if you built such nice areas, they would be filled up by Pikeys caravans in a week.. covered in scrap and God knows what...

Lets face it, anyone with any sense knows that Government can;t run ANYTHING properly.

Bring thos private roads ON!

I went past Lyon in the rush hour on the Autoroute Du Soleil, and it was quieter than the M1 was at 3am on my way down to the ferry! And there are lovely picnic areas with CLEAN toilets - free to use by all. You don;t have to pay overpriced Motorway Services rates to stop.

Really?,the times I've been past Lyon the road's been like a car park...the toilets on UK motorways are free as is the parking..

I like how we're supposed to be grateful, we should accept a decent road surface without all this hoohah, be interesting to see if they do a decent job and not have to rip it up again 10 years later cos of contaniments like on the parkway, Hope this covers Kerbs too, cos they're a menance too.

Can anyone comment on the standard of work being carried out so far ? Also who is in charge of quality control ?

The out of town shopping centres car parks seem to have terrific tarmac finishes and whilst these don't take the heavy loads of highways (and therefore presumably will not have the same sub-base and binder course) it would be nice to think council roads will be of the same finish.

We've become used to sub-standard road repairs for a long time but a first class job shouldn't be rocket science.

£2bn is a lot of money !

Can anyone comment on the standard of work being carried out so far ? Also who is in charge of quality control ?

The out of town shopping centres car parks seem to have terrific tarmac finishes and whilst these don't take the heavy loads of highways (and therefore presumably will not have the same sub-base and binder course) it would be nice to think council roads will be of the same finish.

We've become used to sub-standard road repairs for a long time but a first class job shouldn't be rocket science.

£2bn is a lot of money !

I work near Shiregreen and the results look, and feel, pretty good so far. Why not take a drive up there and take a look for yourself?

Here's some info on what's being done and where, now and up coming.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/works/schemes/streetsaheadproject/works-schedules.html

I work near Shiregreen and the results look, and feel, pretty good so far. Why not take a drive up there and take a look for yourself?

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/works/schemes/streetsaheadproject/works-schedules.html

Thank you Six45ive for the update and link, I'll certainly have a look when I can and glad you seem to be impressed. The finish sounds good, just wondering though how good the preparation is, and therefore how long it'll last.......

Abbey lane had a top dressing a couple of years ago but the potholes reappeared the following winter so you'd hope they're going down a fair bit.

You'll know better how good the work is in 5 years time...

That will depend on a number of things, not just the quality of the repairs which look good to me. They certainly don't seem to be scrimping on the thickness of the tarmac they're laying.

Thank you Six45ive for the update and link, I'll certainly have a look when I can and glad you seem to be impressed. The finish sounds good, just wondering though how good the preparation is, and therefore how long it'll last.......

Abbey lane had a top dressing a couple of years ago but the potholes reappeared the following winter so you'd hope they're going down a fair bit.

From what I've seen I would say there's at least six inches of tarmac being laid and that's after it's been rolled. Not that I've measured it but that's my guess.:)

Thanks for the link, I see my road is due to be done Jul-Sept 2013.

Being the cynical person that I am, shall I pencil in Yorkshire water digging it up for Oct 2013 ? :rant:

Archived