Consenting adults

But why is it different to gays? Why is it any of our business?

I didnt say it was. It was more of a 'what if'

However, morally my opionion is that if they are bringing children into it (which the original poster didnt mention) I think its wrong- not just for the potential risk of disability* but emotionally I think its wrong that a childs dad could also be its uncle etc

(*- I say this because there have been plenty of ''normal'' couples that have children where they know there is a risk their child will be born with abnormalities.

Doesn't that depend on the nature and origin of their disability?

Not sure. Does it matter?

What if the female in an incestuous female was sterilised and there was no risk of disabled children? At what point is it any of our business and where do we draw the line?

I guess its a moral thing, if you've been brought up with your sibling, and then want to sleep with them, its not a normal thing to do. As Cat86 says, I've read several stories of where they have met later in life and started a relationship not knowing about each other.

My husband's ex is now married to her step-brother. They've been brought up together for several years, and then started a relationship when they were in their late teens/early 20s. People they know find it 'sick' (or morally wrong I suppose) but of course its not illegal, and they're not doing a thing wrong, they're not related.

I think with incest it becomes more of an issue, gay people can't have kids. Incestuous couples can produce children, with serious genetic problems, causing deformities and disabilities etc.

A big problem in the Asian community as was reported on tv a few weeks ago. Also if you were born from a sperm donation via a clinic how would you know if your marrage/breeding partner had not been concieved in the same way and possibly by the same father.

Following on from the gay marriage megathread I was wondering what people thought about the banning of incestuous relationships between consenting adults - prompted by the recent story from Germany and the European Court of Human rights decision to allow it to be outlawed.

Should we not be applying the same principle as most people supported re homosexuals I.e what goes on sexually between consenting adults is their business?

And before anyone says anything... No I don't have a sister! :)

You were born with a brain, use it. Just look at areas where incest has historically been acceptable and see the results. The USA had a mega problem with it, hence blood tests prior to marriage.

I don't see it as a problem as long as they don't breed. There again I'm an only child so have no inkling of just how icky fancying my sister would be.

Would you have sex with your Mother?

Or your Father?

That is what incest is, disgusting in the eyes of any decent person.

It just does not happen, the brain is hard wired not accept this thing.

The love we have for our parents and siblings is totally different to the one we have for our wives.

You were born with a brain, use it. Just look at areas where incest has historically been acceptable and see the results. The USA had a mega problem with it, hence blood tests prior to marriage.

You are quite correct the early settlers were a very small gene pool but what is the excuse for the present day crop of americans.

Archived