House Extension Megathread - No quotes or advertising

Hi,

I know this has probably been covered to death so apologies. Going to try and find a builder to quote this as well, but wondered if anyone knew the costs of 2 storey extensions (ground floor garage, second floor extra bedroom).

online estimates talk around £1000 per square metre, but as downstairs would just be an empty garage, and upstairs no plumbing work wondered about cost? was hoping it would be around 25K? (it measures 7.5m x 2.7m)

also seems that pitched roofs only cost a couple of K more overall, thought they would be much more expensive? any thoughts?

Lastly! best place to aquire a builder to quote?.....:)

Thank you!!

My next door neighbour just had his done for 60K, pitched roof, but he had new kitchen/bathroom/living accomodation both floors so should be less than that...probably not too far away for 25K for what you want.

Hi,

I know this has probably been covered to death so apologies. Going to try and find a builder to quote this as well, but wondered if anyone knew the costs of 2 storey extensions (ground floor garage, second floor extra bedroom).

online estimates talk around £1000 per square metre, but as downstairs would just be an empty garage, and upstairs no plumbing work wondered about cost? was hoping it would be around 25K? (it measures 7.5m x 2.7m)

also seems that pitched roofs only cost a couple of K more overall, thought they would be much more expensive? any thoughts?

Lastly! best place to aquire a builder to quote?.....:)

Thank you!!

iv built many of these and price of jobs vary things like access/ground also need to be considered.. id advise you to get your plans drawn up and passed. Then any builder should be able to give you a quote simply from one site visit and a few days to study through the requirements... if you get advise/quotes from a builder first, the things you may have asked for/agreed on may change due to requirements of them in suits lol. hope this helps

james

Your in the right area 20 to 25k but as stated above the only way to get an accurate qoute is for the builder to see the site and plans.

If you allow 25k you should easily get the job done also speak to builders about plans and building inspectors chances are we will know some one at very good prices.

Your in the right area 20 to 25k but as stated above the only way to get an accurate qoute is for the builder to see the site and plans.

If you allow 25k you should easily get the job done also speak to builders about plans and building inspectors chances are we will know some one at very good prices.

I would go for £25-30k. No builder can price accurately without plans and specs. Getting a builder out for a wild guess will be a waste of both the clients and builders time.

Now to get a builder out for a wild guess and pay him for his time that's different.

Hi, I bought a house a few years ago with a pretty rubbish timber-sided conservatory that the kitchen opens into. As you can probably imagine, it just bleeds heat in the winter, and the plastic roof turns into a heat trap in summer! I want to turn this into usable space so am thinking to brick some of the sides and basically get the job done properly (I believe people rather pretentiously call this an "orangery"?). But some elements of it, for example the floor, are ok so I don't need a complete conservatory. As such,am I best off getting a general building firm in, or will conservatory/window places be able to work with the existing framework? Also, ayone got any good experiences of companies doing this kind of wor

I had an existing conservatory extended some years ago and it was done by a conservatory company (not a very good one I might add). However, it has been largely OK - had a small leak which has been repaired. I suppose it could be either/or so my advice would be to get several quotes and to write down the various suggestions along with the prices. Make sure you get the quotes including electrics and plastering.

The only other thing that I can suggest is to think carefully about the roof. If you want glass it might be a good idea to think about solar glass as it is said to be better for insulation and also for deflecting the heat in summer. Mine is K glass but the place gets too bright and hot in summer, too cold in winter despite having two sizeable radiators. Air conditioning units are good because they provide both heat and cold. You would need to factor this into the budget. Some people recommend underfloor heating but that doesn't take care of the heat in summer.

Another option might be to have a proper roof put on it and you would get good use out of it year round with lower energy bills. However, I would imagine that you would need an experienced builder to assess whether the foundations are good enough to take it.

Hi there my name is Mark from bluestone upvc and we would be happy to provide you with free advice and a free no obligation quote. We are a highly motivated family run business offering a first class service. Backed by our Certass registration and insurance backed guarantee.

If we can of any help please call me on 01142874024/ 07720916825

http://www.bluestoneupvc.co.uk

Thanks Mark.

This is a pretty common problem -too hot in Summer too cold in winter and one that conservatory companies rarely warn about. There are a number of firms now that put a thermal reflective lining into the UPVC/glass roof to equalize the temperature and stop the glare, but of course you loose the ability to see through the roof, which is why I had a conservatory in the first place. Having explored the solutions carefully, I'm having the conservatory partially demolished and a brick structure with a pitched tile roof with velux windows put on its place. I've got to get building control to see if the foundations are sufficient first. If they are suitable, the conversion will be about £11,000, although this does include very flash bi fold doors (could economize here) So I guess my answer to your question is you need a builder!