House Extension Megathread - No quotes or advertising

That sounds like a great option Tanktwo - thank you very much for posting. I had considered the pitched tiled roof myself but wondered whether the foundations were good enough to support it. A conservatory company had suggested solar glass but the Velux windows sound a better option. As you say, a builder would be needed for this sort of conversion.

We live in a detatched house which we love, but the downstairs kitchen/ diner is small and badly planned.

We are in the process of going ahead with a small extension to make it an L shape with doors opening out onto the patio area, I think it'll work really well when the kitchen is replanned but my husband is doubtful it will be big enough (the extension will only be 3m x 2m, this is due to space and funds!).

My question is, does anyone else have a space this size and does it work? The extension will only be for the dining area as the kitchen will be spread into the currect kitchen/ diner space.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

I would of said 3mx3m personally but it all depends what your going to put in there obviously a dinning table but what size? A good size six seater will be approx 1.2m wide which only leaves 400mm per chair to draw and be seated! not enough also thing about will you have to move the table against a wall when not in use to walk by.

Sorry not trying to find fault just don't want you to be disappointed after spending your money also is the 3x2m internal or external measurement?

A good idea would be to lay some tape or batons out in the garden to your exact internal measurements and also look at table's and when you see one you like get the sizes and lay that out even lay out the door openings. when you have done all this you will be able to get a good feel for size and be able to see if you have enough room to walk round.

I appreciate any advice so don't think you're finding fault. It'd be 3x3 external so 3x2 ginside

If your external measurements are 3mx3m then that would give you 2.4m x2.4m internternal if you had 4 walls but you will only have 3 so more like 2.7m x2.4m.

A standard double skin wall with insulation is 300mm wide. The only other thing would be the thickness of the plaster

I think it will be ample, its a very common size extension, as a 3m rear single storey extension requires no planning approval.

I could provide you with a quote for the building regulation drawings if you like.

Call me on 07979690333 for a free consultation on the full process and a break down of all the costs involved to completion. Even if you choose someone else it'd be a good insight into what to expect.