House Extension Megathread - No quotes or advertising

Typical Foundations would be 150mm strips regardless of single or double storey. £500. Where ground conditions dictate different foundations, price would vary accordingly.

Really? only 150mm for a two storey extension?.. I had a concrete garage put up and the council said the base had to be 9" (230mm?) with 2 layers of steel mesh... was I conned?

Olles House //That is a small extension. Is 4ft your internal measurement? A standard kitchen worktop is 2ft. Have you allowed for external walls? They will be 1ft wide each. The good news is that the smaller the extension, the less it would cost, I would expect this to be less than £4k including the drainage alterations..// Spider 1 replies

Well Ollies house looks like you got your self a job .

---------- Post added 23-09-2013 at 16:32 ----------

Typical Foundations would be 150mm strips regardless of single or double storey. £500. Where ground conditions dictate different foundations, price would vary accordingly.

Yes another good quote that will not be beaten. :hihi: Not by me anyway.

---------- Post added 23-09-2013 at 16:42 ----------

Really? only 150mm for a two storey extension?.. I had a concrete garage put up and the council said the base had to be 9" (230mm?) with 2 layers of steel mesh... was I conned?

No not at all . I assume it was on a raft so job wanted doing to specs . Seen loads of them break there backs when done by bodgers

Edited by spider1

No not at all . I assume it was on a raft so job wanted doing to specs . Seen loads of them break there backs when done by bodgers

Yep a big bloomin' slab of concrete...I think it'd be good enough for a helicopter landing pad.... :) must weigh 3 times what the garage does at least...

£500 would be swallowed up in skip concrete and mesh before you take a wage believe me anyone who is silly cheap like this guy theres usually a reason... and it ends in tears / bodged & and unfinished work

Average costs for house extensions are really unreliable as every project is different. It depends a lot on what you are planning to do to the existing building. You need someone to come out to site to see what they're taking on or at least provide some photographs.

The more information you provide, the more accurate the quote.

If you are considering a 2 storey extension to the side of a house you will need planning permission.

http://www.planningportal.co.uk has information about planning and building control consents.

It's always worth spending time on getting a house extension right. Even at the lowest prices they're a significant investment and a well designed extension can make a huge difference.

£500 would be swallowed up in skip concrete and mesh before you take a wage believe me anyone who is silly cheap like this guy theres usually a reason... and it ends in tears / bodged & and unfinished work

I think he meant a £500 deposit . This is called thinking time. :hihi: