House Extension Megathread - No quotes or advertising

Hi I am in the process of converting our internal garage and other refurbs in the house. I used Lee from Attollo Building Design Mob:07905 442027.

He did me drawings and a specification, I changed my mind a few times in the process and he supplied various extra drawings and didn't charge me extra.

He helped me find some one to do the structural calcs and building control company. Both were very reasonable costs.

Lee works in building control and was fantastic for answering my questions and queries.

I was originally looking for an architech, but as I knew what I wanted design wise, thought it would be a waste of money.

Hi,

I'm looking to get an idea on how much a side return extension would cost. This would be on a standard terraced house in Hillsborough. Opening out a small off shot kitchen into an open plan kitchen/living area. It would only be a small extension, adding just over 4m2. We would need the drains re-routing. Existing external wall would need to come down (assume we would need a RSJ for this), and a new external door to replace existing dining room window.

Only looking for a ball park figure at the moment, to see if it's feasible. I'm also wondering if this is something a conservatory company/builder would be best suited to carry out, as any design would probably include some glazing to let light into this dark space. Any advice appreciated.

Jo

A typical figure used to get a very rough estimate of the cost of an extension is £1000/sqr metre. You've already noted that there are additional things to do, so you can start with a base cost of £4000 and then add on some for rerouting drains, adding in steel and fitting a kitchen (if that is needed).