Government to abolish Housing Benefit for under 25's

Your title is misleading, as the government have not said they will abolish HB for under 25s. Rather it has been suggested it is removed from unemployed under 25s. Like many proposals made by governments, I think this is one that won't happen. I sincerely hope it doesn't.

The Chartered Institute of Housing are warning against it, see this http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/tenancies/warning-over-housing-benefit-plan-for-under-25s/6521377.article

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/apr/07/housing-benefit-under-25s

I'm sure this will be welcomed by most people on this self righteous right wing forum because we all know young people have fantastic employment opportunities at present and there is an abundance of private and social housing for them all.

Perception is a funny thing... I thought this was a self righteous left wing forum! ;)

It is just a proposal. As a basic principle though, why shouldn't the under 25's go back to their parents when they find themselves in financial strife... I know I did several times after leaving home at 16! Of course there would still need to be a safety net for those who do not genuinely have this as an opinion. But that is purpose of making the proposal... to seek opinion, weigh up the pro's and con's, assess the risks and find out if it really is a viable and desirable option. Dismissing it out of hand is silly.

Obviously Call Me Dave and George Osbourne feel that under 25's can just go back to living in one of the many houses that mummy and daddy own, or the west wing of the inherited palatial family mansion? These out of touch Tories fail to understand that most young people in this country don't have access to a country pile in which to slum it because they no longer qualify, under Tory welfare rules which will discriminate based upon age, for housing benefit.

Future Tory advice to the poor and homeless will be: 'Under 25 and can't get housing benefit in the UK? Then go and live in a hotel in Klosters, you oiks!'

Perception is a funny thing... I thought this was a self righteous left wing forum! ;)

It is just a proposal. As a basic principle though, why shouldn't the under 25's go back to their parents when they find themselves in financial strife... I know I did several times after leaving home at 16! Of course there would still need to be a safety net for those who do not genuinely have this as an opinion. But that is purpose of making the proposal... to seek opinion, weigh up the pro's and con's, assess the risks and find out if it really is a viable and desirable option. Dismissing it out of hand is silly.

A lot of under 25s do not have this option,my daughter still lives at home and shes 21,she knows how expensive it is in the real world.Surley they couldnt even consider putting this act in place,however do you think it would stop teenage mums getting up the duff to get a council house.There are a lot of youngsters with young families themselves.

Archived