Government to abolish Housing Benefit for under 25's

As some people know I was a housing worker for a while. I used to feel really sorry for some young people who couldn't live with their families for all sorts of reasons, and for those who didn't have a family to live with. It made me glad my own children always had a home to come back to if necessary.

Some young people believe they are entitled to have their own home without even thinking about affordability. They aren't sick or disabled, they have no job, no money, and little concept of the reality of paying for necessities. When we would speak to them about paying for it, their perception was often the rent wasn't a concern, because benefits would cover it. They usually hadn't considered the cost of furniture, or heating, washing their clothes etc. Young people without children, on basic JSA can't afford to run a home and many first time tenancies fail.

How can these young people be supported? Should more families be prepared to support their children for longer? Are more hostels, run by social housing providers the answer?

I personally think its an accumulation of services and procedrres which need putting into practice, bottom line is though we just simply need to build more homes.

How times change though, I remember a time when the council had too much council housing!

In 1995 i was 18, unemployed and bored and wanted somewhere safe to have sex with my GF and smoke weed.

My mate told I could get a flat on Norfolk Park tower blocks, so that afternoon we went to the housing office and they offered me the choice of 2 flats there and then!

Couldn't beleive it! All I had to do was sign tenancy agreement and was told to pay water rates at that office until I'd made a claim for housing benefit.

They definitely should, the old "You're out once you turn 18" attitude really has to change, it just doesn't work any more.

And what about the parents do they deserve some peace and quiet after bringing up their kids?

21 is old enough for the kids to move out and make their own life and take some responsibility instead of living off mum and dad and taking the easy option.

And what about the parents do they deserve some peace and quiet after bringing up their kids?

21 is old enough for the kids to move out anf make their own life and take some responsibility instead of living off mum and dad and taking the easy option.

Don't disagree this one iota; so long as said 21 year olds are either self sufficient or parents are providing for them - kids are for life not just for Christmas (to coin a phrase)

There is the most appalling housing crisis heading our way, not just with under 25s but right across society (not rich society obviously.)

The number of people defaulting on their mortgages, or not having enough money to pay rent, and unable to find suitable accommodation are all increasing dramatically, with

many people teetering on the brink.

Yet there are loads of flats standing empty because people can't afford them. House prices are falling, but rents don't seem to be coming down at all.

There is the most appalling housing crisis heading our way, not just with under 25s but right across society (not rich society obviously.)

The number of people defaulting on their mortgages, or not having enough money to pay rent, and unable to find suitable accommodation are all increasing dramatically, with

many people teetering on the brink.

Yet there are loads of flats standing empty because people can't afford them. House prices are falling, but rents don't seem to be coming down at all.

I was talking to someone the other day who privately rents and half of their monthly take home pay goes on rent....this seems too high to me.

Archived