Government to abolish Housing Benefit for under 25's

Not if that lower rent won't cover the mortgage on it. Whats the landlord supposed to do? They aren't a charity
if they cant afford to buy the house with their own money why should anyone care what happens to them ? most btl landlords bought knowing housing benefits paid their mortgage now the bubbles burst on them. (aww diddums my heart bleeds for them )

if they cant afford to buy the house with their own money why should anyone care what happens to them ? most btl landlords bought knowing housing benefits paid their mortgage now the bubbles burst on them. (aww diddums my heart bleeds for them )
What if they can't break even? Are you seriously suggesting they should pay out of their own pockets for someone on housing benefit?

Would you?

What if they can't break even? Are you seriously suggesting they should pay out of their own pockets for someone on housing benefit?

Would you?

But surely they still have the mortgage to pay even if it's standing empty?

Isn't something towards the mortgage better than nothing? If it was me I'd take a lower rent rather than nothing at all - I'd have to.

I'm not trying to score points here, I'm genuinely confused.

But surely they still have the mortgage to pay even if it's standing empty?

Isn't something towards the mortgage better than nothing? If it was me I'd take a lower rent rather than nothing at all - I'd have to.

I'm not trying to score points here, I'm genuinely confused.

Thats a fair point and I don't the answer. You'd have to ask a landlord.

I presume by keeping the rent high they hope that they will get a paying tenant rather than an HB tenant but thats just a guess

And if the house is repossessed the tenants lose their home. Not exactly a win win situation.

Not all landlords are heartless money grabbers. Some have worked hard to buy a couple of properties, they may have invested in houses instead of a future pension.

And if the house is repossessed the tenants lose their home. Not exactly a win win situation.

Not all landlords are heartless money grabbers. Some have worked hard to buy a couple of properties, they may have invested in houses instead of a future pension.

is this the same landlord who prices his tenants out of their home because of his greed.(does he care then) im not saying all landlords are greedy unscrupless (insert your own word here)but if they cant afford to buy without some kind of back up in place who cares if they fail. did you support the banks in handing out mortgages to people who couldnt afford them ?

is this the same landlord who prices his tenants out of their home because of his greed.(does he care then) im not saying all landlords are greedy unscrupless (insert your own word here)but if they cant afford to buy without some kind of back up in place who cares if they fail. did you support the banks in handing out mortgages to people who couldnt afford them ?

The landlord just charges the market price though, they'd struggle to rent their property if the rent was a lot higher than what people thought was a fair price.

Not if that lower rent won't cover the mortgage on it. Whats the landlord supposed to do? They aren't a charity

The landlord would still be paying a mortgage to BUY THEIR OWN house, if they had to pay £100 a month towards their £500 per month mortgage, with the tenant paying £400, and they owned a house at the end of it, would that be so unthinkable?

The landlord just charges the market price though, they'd struggle to rent their property if the rent was a lot higher than what people thought was a fair price.

But isn't that what's happening? People can't afford the rents so many flats are standing empty even tho' there's a desperate need for housing.

Shouldn't prices be falling because too few people can afford them? Isn't that market forces at work?

Archived