Government to abolish Housing Benefit for under 25's

• 1 month later...

The BBC seem to have just picked this up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18567855

I don't see the problem with this. If you cant afford to house yourself and you are that young, your family should be the first to help you, not the state. I left home pretty late because it was too expensive, but I never in a million years thought to myself the state should be providing me with a home.

I'm going to be somewhat controvertial here.

When I was younger, if you wanted your own home then you had no choice but to go to work (this was late 1990s era/early 2000s). A proper house could be bought for £30,000 (af friend bought a terrace at Lower Walkley in 1996 for £15,000)

These days it seems if you are young then if you want your own pad/home then if you go to work, its impossible.

Its utter madness, how can you have a situation where its simply unviable to go to work? if benefits are cut, then it will force down the cost of rents and make going to work a viable option.

Up until 1999, people feared losing their jobs as it would impact on if they had a home or not. These days, people fear losing benefits and getting a job because they could lose their home.

Its back to front

:loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy:

Not sure what it's like in Sheffield but there are lots of empty office buildings just outside Manchester (maybe more in Manchester) which possibly could be converted to living accommodation - I used to wonder if they were built without having any idea of the liklihood of letting them:confused:

I'm going to be somewhat controvertial here.

When I was younger, if you wanted your own home then you had no choice but to go to work (this was late 1990s era/early 2000s). A proper house could be bought for £30,000 (af friend bought a terrace at Lower Walkley in 1996 for £15,000)

These days it seems if you are young then if you want your own pad/home then if you go to work, its impossible.

Its utter madness, how can you have a situation where its simply unviable to go to work? if benefits are cut, then it will force down the cost of rents and make going to work a viable option.

Up until 1999, people feared losing their jobs as it would impact on if they had a home or not. These days, people fear losing benefits and getting a job because they could lose their home.

Its back to front

:loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy:

No it isn't. Its just harder. Big difference. Its not as easy as it was and you have to work a lot harder.

However, plenty of people do get their own home. I know lots of younger people who have their own home. If it was impossible that wouldn't happen right??

Some have had some inheritance from a previous generation of parent/relative (who managed to get thier own home in the past through the same means or the wonderful opportunity that came with the Right to Buy) who have had the luxury of being able to pass on a bricks and motar or cash asset onto their children. This generation have then used that as a deposit on a house or paid off a chunk of their mortgage.

Those who haven't had that luxury have done what I did to get mine. Work their backside off, cut out everything non essential, work overtime or a second job if necessary, dont go out spending and over a couple of years built up a deposit to get the mortgage.

Then the most important and obvious thing to do is make damn sure that they have all the best insurance, guarantee policies, payment protection policies in place if the worst happens.

That's what people do. Idoits who take out a huge mortgage and no precautions to keep it paid if they lose their job or become injuries are the ones who will lose their homes. that's their fault. But because we are a developed country they will be instantly cared for by the council who will provide interim accommodation until they get sorted. That's what happens.

Nobody is forced to live on their streets. There is always a some form of option to have a roof over your head. It might not be ideal, be it a B&B, hostel, shared accommodation, small flat or whatever but you live with it until you are in a position to fund your own house out.. Its whether you choose to take it that's the issue. Lots of people dont becuase they are too stubborn, too proud, too lazy or just too up themselves to lower their standards and/or put up with some hardship when times are hard. That's their choice and those are the one who then go bleating to the press/liberal organisations etc bleating about how the government have made them lose their homes.

Impossible is a completely overused word. Hardly anything is such - you just have to work for it.

The BBC seem to have just picked this up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18567855

I don't see the problem with this. If you cant afford to house yourself and you are that young, your family should be the first to help you, not the state. I left home pretty late because it was too expensive, but I never in a million years thought to myself the state should be providing me with a home.

Well surprise surprise

Archived