Road Rage Incident - Objective advice wanted

Wouldn`t that imply they were driving dangerously themselves not leaving enough room to brake when someone brakes in front of them.How exactly do you point out to someone to get off the phone when you are driving a reasonable safe distance behind them?

Text :D.......

Touching the brakes (making the brake lights come on) will have been like a red rag to a bull - you have to appreciate how vulnerable you are on a bike.

If a road user in front of us, touching their brakes, would cause us to 'see red', perhaps we should consider if we ourselves, are driving in a safe manner?

In this instance, the biker was doing in excess of 80mph, yet noone seems to have a problem with that, while it's been pointed out several times that the OP was in the wrong for doing 80mph.

If the biker was driving at a safe (and legal) speed, perhaps none of this would have happened?

Interesting story, thanks for sharing Stomp.

I think most people from time to time, lose their cool and react emotionally to events, without considering the potential consequences of their reaction.

From what you've said, it looks like the biker took offense to some of your maneuvers, and he didn't like that you weren't going to pull over for him (and perhaps he was having an off-day, we don't know his emotional state). So he was heated, and venting his frustration at you. You perhaps felt this was unjustified, and your unthinking primal response was to vent back at him. So he escalated (by damaging your car).

Did they not cover road-rage on your advanced motorist course?

I would have thought, stay calm, breath slowly, concern yourself with driving safely, and not endangering other road users. If other people get agitated and aggressive, that's more an indication of their weakness, than of yours. Aggressive people are somewhat mentally incapable, and we need to make allowances for them (for our safety and for theirs).

Correct on all levels I think there.

They covered road rage on both advanced driving courses, and indeed I should have known better and kept my cool.

I am ginger, and I blame that for my temper :hihi:however I should have remained calm and I'm kicking myself now.

If a road user in front of us, touching their brakes, would cause us to 'see red', perhaps we should consider if we ourselves, are driving in a safe manner?

In this instance, the biker was doing in excess of 80mph, yet noone seems to have a problem with that, while it's been pointed out several times that the OP was in the wrong for doing 80mph.

If the biker was driving at a safe (and legal) speed, perhaps none of this would have happened?

Valid point but on a defensive level, the sudden appearance of a brake light for no apparent reason at high speed does tend to make a driver/rider twitch a bit.

Probably but you have to deal with the situation in real life,not some utopian highway..if you're holding someone up and you can see they're becoming a bit irritated then just let them pass..no biggie really..

With these:

IAM Certified Advanced Driver & Observer

RoSPA Gold

You should have known this:

Touching the brakes (making the brake lights come on) will have been like a red rag to a bull - you have to appreciate how vulnerable you are on a bike.

Even if you'd have got the full reg, the Police would have gone and knocked on his door and probably got a story of how you'd attempted to cause an accident (by touching your brakes) - Not your intention but that's how I would have seen it if I was the motorcyclist.

As for dialling 999 - how was it an emergency? Should you let it go? Yes, there is nothing else to do and the entire matter is a waste of police time.

Indeed.

As for dialling 999 - how was it an emergency? Should you let it go? Yes, there is nothing else to do and the entire matter is a waste of police time.

Criminal Damage in progress is an emergency is it not? Imagine you are at home, and you see someone trying to break into your car, or your shed, or your house. Would you just let that go? I think you would call 999 for that.

Criminal Damage in progress is an emergency is it not? Imagine you are at home, and you see someone trying to break into your car, or your shed, or your house. Would you just let that go? I think you would call 999 for that.

It's certainly worth a phone call.

Archived