How many horses will die at Aintree?

How many horses will die at Aintree 2012?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. How many horses will die at Aintree 2012?

• 1 / 2
    • 3 / 4
    • 4 / 5
    • more

And let it suffer for as long as it takes to travel home, which may just be at the other end of the country or even over the water...now that would be cruelty

Yup, and that's my point. We're being told the only reason the horses are put down is because nobody involved cares about the animals, just the money it costs to keep them.

Today's deaths will do more financial damage to the racing industry than it would have cost to keep them alive. Especially with Synchronised, the joint favourite to win, which had already earnt it's owners huge sums of money and was a popular animal. It could have made lots of money in stud even if it couldn't race any more.

The horse being taken away 'for treatment' wouldn't be a pleasant sight either though, would it?

Have a branded up "horse ambulance"?

Anyway, subsequent photos of the (lookalike) retired horse in a big flowery meadow with the sun shining would make everyone forget how unpleasant the loading was, because look - it's alright now, chasing rabbits.

How many horses have actually died ???

Two at the moment, in the race. Many more have died around the world today for people to eat.

The "working man" might like a bet on it but it's hardly a working man's sport is it now?

How many "working men" do you know who own thoroughbred race horses?

its not a working man's sport...the vast majority of supporters come from a working class background...

how many working class people made money has bookies runners before betting was made legal....

my grandad sitting in the outside toilet taking bets for the local bookie...while the kids kept watch...

the working class still making money out of it....race trips from pubs, and for has little as twenty pound a month you can have a part share in a racehorse...

The "working man" might like a bet on it but it's hardly a working man's sport is it now?

How many "working men" do you know who own thoroughbred race horses?

If it wasn't for the vast numbers of ordinary people that follow racing and bet on races, it'd be limited to a few events a year like Flag Races and such. So therefore, it's a working class sport, imo.

I've known quite a few syndicates over the years that are composed of ordinary people mostly because they love horses and love the sport. But some of them thought they were going to make money out of it. Sadly mistaken in most cases, it's not a cheap hobby keeping any horse, let alone a racehorse. If you want to own a racehouse all by yourself, you don't have to be a toff, but yes, you need to be well off.

Another two fatalities today, both caused by horses travelling too fast because the fences are too easy; and the immediate response? "We must look at making the fences less dangerous."

I wonder how many more years before anyone important realises that it's making the fences less dangerous, which causes so many deaths.

Two at the moment, in the race. Many more have died around the world today for people to eat.

I asked how many had died at Aintree not around the world so quit with the attitude theres no need for it.

I have nothing against racing so I don't know what your problem is, infact I was going to point out that we will probably find out it will be more than two considering there were three screens around a single fence as it was without counting the other god knows how many.

we will probably find out it will be more than two considering there were three screens around a single fence as it was without counting the other god knows how many.

It's now been confirmed as only two deaths, and the two horses which are still being treated are not believed to have life threatening injuries.

British Horseracing Association Statement:

“We are very sad about the fatal injuries suffered by Synchronised and According to Pete in the Grand National.

“In both cases the horse incurred a fracture to the leg and the humane option was to put the injured horses down.

“The Grand National undoubtedly represents a challenge to both horse and rider. It has inherent risks, but, working closely with Aintree and other stakeholders, we do all we can to minimise these risks while maintaining the unique character of the race. We will examine closely the circumstances which led to both incidents.

More: http://www.britishhorseracing.presscentre.com/Press-Releases/BHA-statement-regarding-the-John-Smith-s-Grand-National-29d.aspx

Aintree Racecourse Statement:

“We are desperately sad at these two accidents and our sympathies are with the connections of both horses. When a horse gets hurt, everyone is deeply upset. Safety is the first priority for the organisers of the Grand National and we make every effort to ensure that everyone involved in the event is able to participate in safety.

“Horseracing is a sport that is very carefully regulated and monitored by the British Horseracing Authority, but risk can never be completely removed. All horses and riders in the Grand National have to meet very high standards set by an independent panel of experts. The Grand National is a professional and well-organised race. Only the best horses and the best jockeys are allowed to enter.

More: http://www.aintree.co.uk/news/aintree_racecourse_statement_2012_john_smiths_grand_national/

They didn't say, spooky, so I have no idea.

But for a horse, especially a racehorse, even a broken leg isn't a simple injury. It's not all about money. The owners and trainers love these horses, they wouldn't let them be destroyed for no good reason.

They love them so much they put them at risk losing their lives? I love my animals a lot. I wouldn't exploit them for money in a situation where they might die

I suppose you could say that they wouldn't be injured if not for the race, but, if not for the race, they probably wouldn't even have been born.

Absolutely. Get rid of the industry and then the thousands of horses who are bred each year and don't make the cut wouldn't end up in the food chain either

They do seem to want to participate as the loose horses usually end up running on for quite some distance.

They are pack animals, running with the pack, and responding in panic to the noise and environment.

Do you have the same opinions about eventing? Or are you against racing full stop because it's a working man's sport and the betting aspect? Or is it just the National you don't like?

I would ban any "sport" where the participants can't consent or comprehend the risks inherent in their activities. Surely people who can't work this one out are intellectually barren?

Frankly the posts above are talkling lots of nuggets to put it mildly. The horses are not exploited, they are bred for the sport, if you can't see that they love it then you are deluded. They are not pack animals, they just want to do it, love it, their ears pricked up, they are in an enviroment that they have been bred for and enjoy.

As for banning, we are talking reality...it's never, ever going to happen.

As for money, I've lost enough over the many years.

Archived