How many horses will die at Aintree?

How many horses will die at Aintree 2012?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. How many horses will die at Aintree 2012?

• 1 / 2
    • 3 / 4
    • 4 / 5
    • more

I dont believe the horses have a choice- it is what they are bred to do- they dont know any different.

But I dont think the eating meat is the same comparison.

(snip ...)Although I backed horses this year, I think from now on I will stick with the flat races. 2 more dead is too many

My point was the callous dismissal of someone's death as being less important than the death of a couple of racehorses during a race. Hundreds of thousands of animals are killed everyday to feed humans, why sentimentalise horses? If she feels like that she shouldn't eat meat, was my point.

Regarding your decision, horses die in flat races as well. And are often put down when their racing days are over. If you can't approve of any of that, perhaps you shouldn't be backing horses at all.

But then it wouldn't be the Grand National, in fact, it would just be a flat race ...

spooky3 - I have to agree with TsarChasm, which I hate to have to do, but you are really not making any sense. Anytime the exclamation marks comes excessively into play, it just makes your argument look hysterical.

I know what your saying Ruby, but I'm also the view that bull taming should be banned in Spain or chicken fights in Asia, if humans cant be entertained without death then its rather sad.

My point was the callous dismissal of someone's death as being less important than the death of a couple of racehorses during a race. Hundreds of thousands of animals are killed everyday to feed humans, why sentimentalise horses? If she feels like that she shouldn't eat meat, was my point.

Regarding your decision, horses die in flat races as well. And are often put down when their racing days are over. If you can't approve of any of that, perhaps you shouldn't be backing horses at all.

regarding flat races, not at the same rate in a single race they dont. a horse may overheat/pull its leg, but its unlikely to break its leg/neck or worse as it may do in the national.

and regarding your point- I raised the same question today with my grandad who was saying how nice horsemeat was... (I couldnt and wouldnt ever try it) he raised the point about all the war horses etc that were surpluss after the first war etc.

I dont think horses are, or ever were primarily bred for meat

Its just different.. eg breeding a chicken/a pig for meat isnt the same as raising a horse for the races.. with the races you can stipulate how far you push it/what fences you make it jump etc- if it falters it can die. It just isnt the same.

I have not read the entire thread so I may be repeating other posters, but why not remove the jumps or reduce them? No horses would need to die if the jumps were small or removed it would all be about the distance ran.

The horse that died earlier in the Aintree meet actually fell and broke a leg very badly on the flat, so it appears in that case that the jumps played no part in the injury at all. The same applies in most of the deaths that happen in the US in races, as most of their races are on the flat. Both of the horses that died during the filming of the TV series Luck were racing on the flat when they collapsed and died too, and U B Carefull, who died earlier on this year after a race in Ludlow, won the race and then collapsed and died afterwards.

http://www.horsedeathwatch.com/

Nothing you've said in this thread has changed my mind one iota!

Till next time!

I'm not trying to change your mind i'm only saying how things are. As i said at the beginning of the thread, i'd like to see the sport done away with along with greyhound racing.

My family and I felt very sad at the death of Syncronize and Its All About Pete. Yet we were all sat round the telly, clutching our betting slips hoping our horse would come in the top five. Horses are truly free spirits, and would not benefit from trying to live with broken limbs. Its their genetic make up, and to put them down is the best way to deal with it. Its very, very sad, but there isnt any other way, apart from banning horseracing altogether, which is like saying lamb shanks shouldnt be sold as lambs are lovely.

I know what your saying Ruby, but I'm also the view that bull taming should be banned in Spain or chicken fights in Asia, if humans cant be entertained without death then its rather sad.
I totally agree with you, but the main point of those is the death of the animal. The point of horse racing is not death. Like any other sport, death and serious injury can be an unanticipated and unwanted event. No-one enters a horse in the National or any other race expecting it to have to be euthanised. No-one enters the bobsleigh and expects to be killed in practice, or go out to kick a ball about and have a heart attack. Sometimes things go wrong.

We've already outlawed all the bloodsports, other than shooting and fishing, in which death was the desired result. Bull and badger baiting, dog and **** fighting, hunting are all illegal now.

Thousands of 'ordinary' people participate in fishing, should we ban that, as well?

Archived