How many horses will die at Aintree?

How many horses will die at Aintree 2012?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. How many horses will die at Aintree 2012?

• 1 / 2
    • 3 / 4
    • 4 / 5
    • more

Ahh some of these posts are just stupid.

The fact of the matter is these horses do NOT get a choice in this, they were made to race!

It's impossible to make a horse race. If it decides to just stand still at the tape and not move, all the jockeys in the world can't change its mind.

Have a word with yourself. They're horses, it's what they do. That's a person you're talking about here. Someone's child. What a tasteless thing to post, or even to think, quite honestly. How can you compare the death of animals to the death of a person?

I sincerely hope you've never eaten any meat in your life, since you were old enough to make the decision that animals are more important than people.

What makes a horse less important to a person? Nothing so why is it terrible that the footballer has died but fine that the horses are killed so that people can have a bet?

I think they are equally as important as each other.

And i am actually a vegetarian so thats rained on your parade :)

Its no doubt a tough race and they need to make it safer. There was a good debate last night on 5 Live. They'll probably cut the number of runners from 40 to 25. An interesting point was raised by Richard Pitman in that by making the fences smaller, more horses would probably die. This is because they can then go faster.

I don't understand the point by some animal rights activists that the sport should be stopped because its cruel. No doubt for some horses its fatal, but most go through a trouble free career. If the sport was stopped what would happen to the horses? No doubt most of them would be destroyed, that would ensure more cruelty than at present.

Therefore, I support keeping the sport and in particular the Grand National, but work to make it safer...

It's impossible to make a horse race. If it decides to just stand still at the tape and not move, all the jockeys in the world can't change its mind.

Horses don't run, even after the jockey comes off, and in many cases continue jumping the fences because they want to. They do it because they are pack animals and copy/follow what others are doing.

If you put a bunch of horses out to pasture with a fence in the middle, they wouldn't jump it for fun.

2 more dead,its shocking animal cruelty and should have been banned yrs ago.

looks like the authorities are listening to you...only four race meetings and seven greyhound meetings today....turning over millions of the lovely stuff....

be watching at the races while tucking into my sunday roast...happy days

What makes a horse less important to a person? Nothing so why is it terrible that the footballer has died but fine that the horses are killed so that people can have a bet?

I think they are equally as important as each other.

And i am actually a vegetarian so thats rained on your parade :)

What makes a horse less important than a person? Are you trolling me? I'm guessing that you're quite young, or that you don't have any people that you really care about to make such a comment.

I have no parade to rain on, I'm glad that you at least stand by your opinions. Many people who are over sentimental about animals also eat meat and can't quite seem to see the connection. Maybe they think meat is grown on polystyrene plates somewhere.

Didn't jockeys protest when the powers that be tried to limit the amount of whipping they could use duing a race?

There is a fine line between use and abuse of the whip. some studies show the whip to be of zero benefit and in Norway it has been banned as a means to make the horse go faster.

There is evidence to suggest that the whipping has a negative effect also as it is used when they go faster so it serves as a punishment to some horses.

What makes a horse less important than a person? Are you trolling me? I'm guessing that you're quite young, or that you don't have any people that you really care about to make such a comment.

What does make a human life more important than an animal's?

Outside of family and friends why should anyone have the need to feel compassion for another human life?

Archived