Labour and Ed..

Indeed. If you look at the state of the country then (I was only 8 but read about it since) its a minor miracle that a true left wing labour got so few votes. As good an mp as skinner is, someone like him in charge would consign labour to the sidelines for years. Ed might be useless, a poor speaker with little in the way of decent ideas but he's roughly along the right lines. You could replace him quickly and easily. A violent shift to the left would be harder to rectify.

The problem for Labour is that only the unions will bankroll them. In return they expect the Labour leader to put forward a union friendly, social agenda. Unfortunately for Ed that agenda is not wanted by the majority of the UK. It plays well in areas like this but in the real world it's a backward step.

Labour are unelectable with just their heartlands. They need to attract the people Blair called Mondeo Man. They voted Labour in 1997 but Chancellor Brown, the union man, betrayed them with high taxes, bureaucracy, failing public services, mass immigration and the biggest bust in living memory. So at the last election Mondeo Man deserted them. No matter how bad the Tories are they won't be going back to Labour. It all adds up to Labour being unelectable no matter who leads them.

So do you reckon Ed is the man to lead Labour to victory in the next GE?

Regardless of Ed Miliband's leadership qualities, can you see anyone better who might lead Labour right now?

Ed Balls? Andy Burnham? David Miliband? Douglas Alexander?

Would any of these people be able to improve on Labour's current situation?

Regardless of Ed Miliband's leadership qualities, can you see anyone better who might lead Labour right now?

Ed Balls? Andy Burnham? David Miliband? Douglas Alexander?

Would any of these people be able to improve on Labour's current situation?

Does that mean he's the least worst?

Does that mean he's the least worst?

I don't rate Ed Miliband for a variety of reasons, but I can't see the others in the shadow cabinet being much of an improvement.

Labour had the same issue when Gordon Brown was in charge of little to no credible challengers. Of course the fact that Gordon Brown was elected Labour leader unopposed didn't do them any favours either.

I don't rate Ed Miliband for a variety of reasons, but I can't see the others in the shadow cabinet being much of an improvement.

Labour had the same issue when Gordon Brown was in charge of little to no credible challengers. Of course the fact that Gordon Brown was elected Labour leader unopposed didn't do them any favours either.

I think you're right..we appear to have been short changed with the quality of politicians of all leanings at the moment...we're in the clag and that a fact...

I thought it showed how shallow the Labour gene pool really is. Since they have lost so many seats since the pool is even shallower now.

I think what the likes of Mecky & Co forget is that political parties don't win elections, they only lose them. Labour can't win so they'll have to wait until the Tories lose and that could take a while. They've had a few wobbles but if they hit their stride they could be there for a while.

Mecky - one day you'll understand politics and be able to contribute productively to these threads. Until then, we'll keep humouring your juvenile input.

Oh look, another personal attack. I do understand politics thanks

Archived