People alive today that will go down in history

would be interesting to hear who you think should go down then Lucy

perhaps the title should read 'people alive today whoshould go down in history' :)

Perhaps if you used that item that sits between your ears, Lucy has explained herself perfectly well - it appears we are all spoon fed what the Press considers to be worthy - a bit like All England Law Reports: Legal precedents could be happening in a court near you - but unless they get reported they won't be being set as a precedent!

Bill Gates deserves a place in history for sure if he does manage to eliminate malaria, although it's a pretty tall order. ...

So what is the real aim here, Bill making his own history:

1. Because he is well known;

2. Because giving money to Science is better than solving the problem practically - Science being more 'alluring' than a practical solution - can't put it into words properly but you know what I mean (don't you?):

"Where appropriate, countries and communities are being encouraged to reduce mosquito breeding sites by filling in and draining water bodies and through other environmental management schemes." Taken from:

http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/diseases/malaria/en/

But who is going to give money to such 'unflattering-yet-practical' schemes when 'medicine' has the answer to everything!

OK, well that's your take on things, do you not think it far more likely that in a few decades time the only fact anyone will remember about her is that she was the first female prime minister of this country?

No lefties will still be blaming her for centuries to come. Nothing that goes wrong on their watch will be their fault, because of "Fatcher".

With a name like yours ??? I dont think so..... :hihi:

Trust me. You think the Victorians kept meticulous records?

Tomorrow's historians will be cutting and harvesting great swathes of primary source information about every single one of us that has ever claimed a benefit, been arrested, used a bank account, sent an email, flown abroad, driven a car, bought something with a card, had a job, been born, died etc..

And instead of doing what they do now, i.e read all of it, future historians will be using some serious computer power to reach into that unimaginably huge amount of data and pluck out coherent information. Much as marketeers and financial trading companies do today.

Did Paul MacCartney go down on one knee?

Hard to believe but a lot of young people don't even know who Paul Macartney is, not in the US anyhow....just makes you feel old.

And Richard Branson to me is just another Donald Trump.

Chomsky. Penrose & Hawking. Winston. Dawkins. For contributions to humanity and science.

All the England team after they win :) for distracting us briefly from the harsh reality of the situation in Britain.

Stewart Lee for being the funniest man alive.

Obama for being the most blatant example of positive discrimation/affirmative action in the history of mankind.

I don't think any of them will go down in history, there have been many a greater man and woman alive today who should make history but never will because the press will not recognize them...

In fact, the only man i admire off you little list is Richard Branson and thats only because he had the balls to carry on despite his poor background :)

Thats right-like so many poor boys he was educated at Stowe,Buckingham,an elite public school.He is as poor as Paul Getty was.

Archived