Beer Ticking. How does tha work?

A few weeks ago someone showed me a DVD "Beer Tickers..Beyong The Ale".

It was all very jolly with folks drinking half pints of different beers and writing them down in a book. I think the leading ticker had some 40,000 different beers listed in his book.

But a few nights ago I was in the Fleur de Lys at Totley and saw what I thought was a Tetley pump clip. Closer examination revealed it actually said TOTLEY BITTER, and was a rebadged version of a local brew specially for the Fluer. The same beer is available in other pubs branded to their requirements.

Thinking back I've seen loads of pubs with their own pub names on the pump clips. So very likely many of those 40,000 beers will just be the same beers sold under a variety of names.

It's a bit like going train spotting and chalking different numbers on the trains you see. I suppose if you owned your own pub and could be bothered to print off enough pump clips you could tick up thousands of glasses of the same beer with different names without ever leaving the comfort of your own bar. Is there any point?

It was all very jolly with folks drinking half pints of different beers and writing them down in a book. I think the leading ticker had some 40,000 different beers listed in his book.

But a few nights ago I was in the Fleur de Lys at Totley and saw what I thought was a Tetley pump clip. Closer examination revealed it actually said TOTLEY BITTER, and was a rebadged version of a local brew specially for the Fluer. The same beer is available in other pubs branded to their requirements.

Thinking back I've seen loads of pubs with their own pub names on the pump clips. So very likely many of those 40,000 beers will just be the same beers sold under a variety of names.

It's a bit like going train spotting and chalking different numbers on the trains you see. I suppose if you owned your own pub and could be bothered to print off enough pump clips you could tick up thousands of glasses of the same beer with different names without ever leaving the comfort of your own bar. Is there any point?

Are you bored today?

That is what is known by tickers as a "re-badge". It's from Spire brewery and normally sold as "Joan Smythe's Extra Rough". Most tickers don't count re-badged beer as a tick, although they all have their own ideas about what should and shouldn't count as a tick.

And no I do not tick beer myself, although I know one or two people who do.

I suppose its like visiting different stations using the same train.I suppose if you like ticking boxes its fun.Every year the Grocer magazine send me a definitive list of all the foodstuffs,detergents available in our shops.I try to sample every one of them and we go on coach trips to Carlisle ,Glasgow etc.to visit smaller chains like Booths and MacTavishes.If you would like a link I can supply one to All Brands Covered from Dover to Edinburgh,or as we say ABCDE

Gah, Tickers, useless articles that clutter up the place and get in the way of people having a good time. Most wouldn't know a decent beer if Potz gave then a guidebook on entry.

Apparently, it's been scientifically proven that a Ticker's badges can defy the laws of gravity.

Gah, Tickers, useless articles that clutter up the place and get in the way of people having a good time. Most wouldn't know a decent beer if Potz gave then a guidebook on entry.

Apparently, it's been scientifically proven that a Ticker's badges can defy the laws of gravity.

Do you mean Roger Protz? I can think of a few beer tickers who would be more likely to beat Protz over the head with a guidebook or one of those palmpilot things many of them are very keen on.

Archived