Ghosts - St James Chapel and Boots

Reading the excellent "Haunted Sheffield" book, I was wondering if anyone knows any more about:

1. The incident of the 13th December 1940 in the blitz damaged crypt of St James Chapel in St James Place, written about in the book. For those who haven't read the story, two grave robbers were said to have been accosted by some kind of a creature whilst rumaging around in the ruins. A frightening read!

2. Goings on as late as 2006 in Boots on Fargate - an incident where the manager and a Police Officer went to investigate an alarm at 2am and a mannequin flew off a shelf at them.

Does anyone actually know if these are "stories" or can they be corroborated?

Does anyone know that manager or anything related to the Chapel story?

Many thanks

Camden

I worked on Fargate 30 years ago, and there were a number of incidents reported. While working on renovation of a new store, workmen were so spooked by what they witnessed on the first floor of the building (this building is now WH Smith's) that they refused to work through the night anymore. They apparently walked into what was to become a stock room and there in front of them were two women dressed in muslin type clothing carrying silver platters, they floated across the room before dissapearing through the wall.

Anyone who worked in the neighbouring Wimpy Bar may also have a story to tell.

Just jogged my memory about an incident that happened in early eighties on shalesmoor, there used to be a large furniture store just near roundabout which is now a self storage unit, anyway me and my mate used to train in gym above compleat angler , have a pint and then catch bus out side this shop on shalesmoor. This particular friday night around 10.00pm the store was in darkness and we both just happened to look through the window and there stood an old guy around 60ish with round glasses and some sort of tunic type uniform with silver buttons and he just stood there staring at us which was quite creepy and made us turn away. Upon looking around again he had gone and we shortly jumped on bus and headed home, Logic says to anyone reading this says it was probably night time security guard which we both reasoned at time. However did read some years later that this store used to be a picture palace and was said to be haunted by an old cinema manager that worked there and did fit the desciption of person we both saw. Coincidence or over active imaginations , maybe but true story al the same. wooooo

Archived