London met uni considering banning alcohol for its muslim students.

Surely the muslim students can go to the many coffee outlets in universities?

That's what muslims do in the middle east in the evening, they sit in a cafe nursing a cup of coffee all night, looking a bit depressed because they are all blokes as women aren't allowed out after dark.

Surely the muslim students can go to the many coffee outlets in universities?

That's what muslims do in the middle east in the evening, they sit in a cafe nursing a cup of coffee all night, looking a bit depressed because they are all blokes as women aren't allowed out after dark.

Sounds rivetting:hihi::hihi:

Difficult, isn't it?

I had 2 close friends:

Mallillah Rustum Al' Saddiqi was a 'genuine Bedouine' - an Omani Bedou, in the Sultan's Air Force.

When I met him, he was full of crap ... quite literally. He had been in the UK for 2 days and nobody had explained to him how Western toilets worked.

Minor problem? . Not if you are a guest in another country and you do not wish to cause offence.

We did become good friends.

Then there was my other Arab friend, Yahya Al'Ayed. He was a Saudi. As far as he was concerned, the Koran was only valid East of Greenwich and a Marriage licence was only valid in the FIR in which it was issued.

2 people. Both Muslim, both coming from countries not so far apart, but 2 amazingly different people. Both followed (allegedly) the same religion ... but one followed it far more closely than did the other.

Yahya's God (as he treated him) was a blind old bugger who didn't give a damn what his followers did if they were outside Saudi Arabia.

Mal's god was a bit like mine. He too was the God of Abraham.

Both Mallilah and Yahya were Muslim (or so they said.)

Both followed the ' teachings of the prophet' - or so they said.

2 people. Both Arabs. Both Muslim.

Two very different interpretations of their faith.

Will the London met Uni (whichever Poly that is) be requiring Sally Anns to '[re]swear the pledge and to guarantee to sell a fixed number of 'War Crys' a week?

Don't most Polytechnics have to say something spectacular (or have a student do something outrageous) just to keep their name in the news?

What does Hallam Poly plan to do to attract bums on seats this year?

Given that part of London Met is more or less opposite the Whitechapel Mosque, I am not in the least bit surprised that the University would be considering such a move. As student tuition fees have trebled, many new universities are looking to increase and retain, locally. I doubt that the other campuses will be following suit.

You said that suggesting some bars at a university restict alcohol sales was the start of a process that would lead you to feel life isn't worth living, I wondered what the tipping point was?
No I didn't say that - stop trolling! There are many things that I consider make my life worth living, and they would all be taken away by an Islamic (or other religious) theocracy. The more we give way to 'sensibilities', the less we have, and the less we are. There is nothing lower than a person once free but now subjugated by a religion; nothing more debased.

That's misrepresenting what I said I never claimed the university had 'set down rules', merely that the university itself admitted that this was the situation many of it's female students were in.

Perhaps the uni should be encouraging a bit more freedom for these women rather than simply describing this as a 'conservative attitude' and making adjustments to accomodate such attitudes?

Some people on this forum seem to misrepresent what people say an awful lot! :rolleyes: I guess it's because their argument has no substance. I totally support your suggestion that the uni should encourage more freedom for these women and not pander to the misogynistic attitudes of their dominating males!

Given that part of London Met is more or less opposite the Whitechapel Mosque, I am not in the least bit surprised that the University would be considering such a move. As student tuition fees have trebled, many new universities are looking to increase and retain, locally. I doubt that the other campuses will be following suit.

I wouldn't have thought there is a lot of money in attracting muslim fundamentalists, unless they are looking to attract foreign students from the more backward middle eastern countries. The local muslim fundamentalists are likely to be from poor backgrounds.

I wouldn't have thought there is a lot of money in attracting muslim fundamentalists, unless they are looking to attract foreign students from the more backward middle eastern countries. The local muslim fundamentalists are likely to be from poor backgrounds.

Which would fit with their widening access policy which universities have to comply with in order to increase their fees.

Archived