London met uni considering banning alcohol for its muslim students.

This is an area of London where segregation is a BIG problem. In my own experience this includes prayer shops publicly playing recorded extremist sermons including Louis Farrakhan describing white people as a 'cancer' which must be stamped out underfoot, teenage asian boys abusing white people and demanding what you are doing in an 'asian' area when you are walking the streets. .

Where are you claiming this takes place? Whitechapel? Which shops? What did the police say when you reported it?

I would hazard a guess that your average white British 18 year old if looking at a course on the Whitechapel campus on seeing that alcohol was banned on that part of the campus would be a lot less likely to apply for that course.

You think a major factor in people deciding which universities to attend is the availability of alcohol?

There are off licenses, often run by muslims, on almost every single London street, the idea that potential students reject seats of learning because they may have to walk 2 minutes to buy a can of beer is laughable.

. . . . . Bearing in mind the problems this area has I think the correct response from the university should be - 'We have two groups here, how can we accomodate the needs of both on the same campus', rather than 'We are going to change the campus in order that it meets the needs of one minority group regardless of the needs of other students on campus'. It's just another inflammatory wedge to drive between people.
And therein lies the problem, which is made worse every time a minority campaigner or misguided do-gooder tries to make special rules for minority groups - it only serves to further alienate them by emphasising their differences.

And therein lies the problem, which is made worse every time a minority campaigner or misguided do-gooder tries to make special rules for minority groups - it only serves to further alienate them by emphasising their differences.

Only a rather silly person would feel antagonism towards muslims because of something a university employee said.

Professor Gillies said that some students, particularly Muslim women, would feel uncomfortable attending university events in a pub, for example, and that the concerns he raised could apply to other groups such as American Protestants or Buddhists.

“What we don’t want is the tyranny of a majority view,” he said, arguing that universities needed to have spaces where any type of student felt comfortable.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=26&storycode=419642&c=1

Anyone noticed tensions rising between Brits and Buddhists or American protestants?

Just as I suspected from this daft story, Gillies is using Muslim and female students (and now apparently Buddhists and Protestants) as a shield to force through some unpopular cuts to services.

The giveaway was the complete absence of quotes from any other individual or group. Also, the claim that women were being chaperoned was patently absurd.

Where are you claiming this takes place? Whitechapel? Which shops? What did the police say when you reported it?

The islamic prayer shop on the corner of Turin Street and Bethnal Green Road in Bethnal Green. I didn't report it to the police, they frequented the Chinese takeaway a few doors down frequently and plenty of them would have heard it themselves, so I think it was fairly obvious even if it was reported they wouldn't react.

You think a major factor in people deciding which universities to attend is the availability of alcohol?

There are off licenses, often run by muslims, on almost every single London street, the idea that potential students reject seats of learning because they may have to walk 2 minutes to buy a can of beer is laughable.

If the social life on campus is not a factor in deciding what university you go to why do university guides contain substantial sections on this and why is there so much information about this online, why is it a question students ask?

Yes, I think for a lot of students a dry campus would put them off applying, particularly as this university is usually a last resort choice anyway.

The islamic prayer shop on the corner of Turin Street and Bethnal Green Road in Bethnal Green. I didn't report it to the police, they frequented the Chinese takeaway a few doors down frequently and plenty of them would have heard it themselves, so I think it was fairly obvious even if it was reported they wouldn't react.

There is no prayer shop there. There is a Swinton Building Society:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1366&bih=643&q=turin+street+e2&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x48761cc6498c2ed3:0xee6f255092d32987,Sanger+House,+Turin+St,+London,+Greater+London+E2+6BS&gl=uk&ei=It2OT92zAdGm8gPEh5GiCw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CCUQ8gEwAA

And you didn't report it because the police sometimes use the Chinese next door?

Mmmmm.

If the social life on campus is not a factor in deciding what university you go to why do university guides contain substantial sections on this and why is there so much information about this online, why is it a question students ask?

Yes, I think for a lot of students a dry campus would put them off applying, particularly as this university is usually a last resort choice anyway.

Oh, for goodness sake, closing one bar would not destroy the social life on campus, most students drink in their rooms anyway, you're getting a bit fanciful now, militant prayer shops that are actually building societies and racism you don't bother to report because the cops use a Chinese restaurant, sheesh!

Archived