London met uni considering banning alcohol for its muslim students.

The BBC article quotes Professor Malcolm Gillies as saying "Alcohol is a barrier to many Muslim students participating in freshers events and often in society activities - so we're in support of moves to have some alcohol-free zones and events." This I find very strange, because there is no point in Muslims trying to 'integrate' with non-Muslims at university as they will be unable to partake of a social life with non-Muslims outside and after university anyway, unless this constitutes a life-long ban on alcohol for all graduates!

Alcohol is part of our social heritage in the UK, our traditions, our way of life, and for some of us, a raison d'etre. Giles should respect that and not pander to intolerant bigots!

I like wit. :) I enjoyed that.

I believe (uni) a degree is about teaching one how to think.

Now I don't use anything much related specifically to my course, since leaving I have taught myself computers and programming.

I originally wanted to open a nightclub since I was a DJ for 5 years in the early nineties, so I did interior design. But I soon found out easier modes of life and now have half a masters in Computer Science.

there is no point in Muslims trying to 'integrate' with non-Muslims at university as they will be unable to partake of a social life with non-Muslims outside and after university anyway, unless this constitutes a life-long ban on alcohol for all graduates!

People who don't drink alcohol can't have a social life?

Alcohol is part of our social heritage in the UK, our traditions, our way of life, and for some of us, a raison d'etre. Giles should respect that and not pander to intolerant bigots!

Or he could accept that some of his clients, people paying him money to study at his university, want social events without alcohol and cater to their needs. The people who do want alcohol can have it for there is no ban.

I wonder how long I can keep saying there is no ban until people stop talking about a ban.

Archived