London met uni considering banning alcohol for its muslim students.

That's an incredibly short-sighted and prejudiced view of Muslims. There are lots of different kinds of Muslims, from those small few who are very strict and may well segregate themselves from others after they graduate, to those who'd be happy to go in a pub but not drink (and probably several who'd drink too!) and everything in between. The majority will mix with non-Muslims when they graduate - whether in work, or where they live, or even just as friends.

Although the reasons cited for the proposals - and they're hardly earth-shattering proposals, just to have some bars that don't serve booze (whilst others do) - are cited to be largely because of the high number of Muslim students at London Met, I know from working in HE that there are some students of all backgrounds who struggle with the drinking culture at university. Given the health/behaviour/etc problems associated with alcohol it's probably not a bad thing if universities are seen to be supportive of 'dry' bars anyway - and it's not as if anyone's proposing stopping them from drinking - just offering some alternatives.

You've clearly not understood what I have said, and you seek to insult me by maliciously accusing me of having a prejudiced view of Muslims. Apologise.

Clearly there is a ban

No, the very opposite. It's going to stop being sold in some areas, but be sold in other areas on-campus and off-campus. That is not an alcohol ban, in any way shape or form.

but banning the traditional alcohol for other students for 'fear of causing offence' is pandering to extremists

Which isn't what is happening, and is not the reason for the change of circumstances.

I know from working in HE that there are some students of all backgrounds who struggle with the drinking culture at university

Frankly, thats their problem, no ones insisting they drink.

. Given the health/behaviour/etc problems associated with alcohol it's probably not a bad thing if universities are seen to be supportive of 'dry' bars anyway - and it's not as if anyone's proposing stopping them from drinking - just offering some alternatives.

Nice try but its obvious that this is the creeping Islamisation of British public life.

I sometimes think these stories are intended to make the muslim haters of our country come out in force,no wonder so many are racist when they see stories like these.

Exactly. The right-wing preys on fear and hate.

No, the very opposite. It's going to stop being sold in some areas, but be sold in other areas on-campus and off-campus. That is not an alcohol ban, in any way shape or form.

Which isn't what is happening, and is not the reason for the change of circumstances.

Half true, but technically they are suggesting banning alcohol in 'certain' areas!

Not true. Giles was proposing to ban alcohol from social events such as Freshers' Week. That's a ban. Period.

Archived