Do you believe in God?

Do you believe in God?  

374 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in God?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Willing to be convinced

A marvellous act of faith so your of school of thought that says if you put enough monkeys in a room with enough typewriters you will get a Shakespeare sonnet?

I admire your faith. You have also identified the critical question

So we have random chance v laws of science nature physics and in the end they lead to God

1 - This isn't faith or belief, I look around I see random chance, I don't see directed actions by some supernatural entity.

2 - Yes, enough random fingers hitting enough random keys given enough time could produce a shakespeare sonnet, you might have to wait a while though, possibly longer than your lifetime.

3 - Random chance is physics and no it doesn't lead to god it leads to an explanation of the universe.

Really? That should be interesting.

Humans

Why shouldn't they?

Not sure what you mean here. Are you saying "if you are not[atheist], why are we[theists] better than everything else?

Or do you mean why are we, as a species, better than anything else?

Humanist is a religion that we have rights above nature and science says the opposite yet both think they are atheists

1 - This isn't faith or belief, I look around I see random chance, I don't see directed actions by some supernatural entity.

2 - Yes, enough random fingers hitting enough random keys given enough time could produce a shakespeare sonnet, you might have to wait a while though, possibly longer than your lifetime.

3 - Random chance is physics and no it doesn't lead to god it leads to an explanation of the universe.

Just to take point 2 about the monkeys the shortest word in might be the letter A with a space either side of it if there were 30 keys on the typewriter 30x30x30 27,000 to letter . The number of trials you would need to get a sonnet cutting out the boring bit and I can send you if you want would be more than all the particles in the universe in fact if you took in entire universe converted into computer chips each weighing on millionth of a gram and each on one could spin out 488 trails at a million times a second random letters and this was done from the beginning of time in this universe you still would not get a sonnet you would be out by needing a universe 10 to 600 larger. Don't have faith in monkeys

A marvellous act of faith so your of school of thought that says if you put enough monkeys in a room with enough typewriters you will get a Shakespeare sonnet?

I admire your faith. You have also identified the critical question

So we have random chance v laws of science nature physics and in the end they lead to God

Didn’t something like that already happen, a set of random mutations over millions or years that eventually lead to the human species and eventually a sonnet? :)

Just to take point 2 about the monkeys the shortest word in might be the letter A with a space either side of it if there were 30 keys on the typewriter 30x30x30 27,000 to letter . The number of trials you would need to get a sonnet cutting out the boring bit and I can send you if you want would be more than all the particles in the universe in fact if you took in entire universe converted into computer chips each weighing on millionth of a gram and each on one could spin out 488 trails at a million times a second random letters and this was done from the beginning of time in this universe you still would not get a sonnet you would be out by needing a universe 10 to 600 larger. Don't have faith in monkeys

The universe is infinite; we just don’t have the ability to see it all.

Humanist is a religion that we have rights above nature and science says the opposite yet both think they are atheists

Your posts are a bit confusing but I'm assuming you believe in God? Could you direct me to something (s)he's done and also the evidence for it?

Your posts are a bit confusing but I'm assuming you believe in God? Could you direct me to something (s)he's done and also the evidence for it?

He brought his people Israel back into the land of there fathers as promised

Or maybe it's chance ,it could be a self fulfilling prophecies

It is worth looking.

So we could work out the stats for chance if it's not chance that poses a very interesting question and a new post should anyone want to debate

You do know the monkeys and shakespeare thing is a thought experiment though don't you, it requires an infinite number of monkeys and typewriters for one none of which can actually exist in as it would all be monkeys and typewriters with nothing else, so quoting odds is a little silly, enough would mean infinite in my original statement by the way.

And if I may I direct your attention to the word "could" in my original statement, this means it's not a certainty, it might happen, it might not, this is the nature of random events.

Now if you choose to believe that some supernatural entity created the universe, apparently over 13.5 billion years ago, just so that one day you could worship them, then fine, good luck to you, I have no problem with this, but please don't be upset if I and others do not choose to believe as you do or expound views which are contrary to your own.

However I would be interested to see the results of any calculations similar to the one you did with the monkeys demonstrating this supernatural beings actions.

The question in the OP was "Do you believe in God?" my answer is no, I gave my reasons why.

He brought his people Israel back into the land of there fathers as promised

Or maybe it's chance ,it could be a self fulfilling prophecies

It is worth looking.

So we could work out the stats for chance if it's not chance that poses a very interesting question and a new post should anyone want to debate

Where is the evidence that God did this?