Do you believe in God?

Do you believe in God?  

374 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in God?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Willing to be convinced

The results are very interesting: atheists have this need to say out loud that they don't believe in God, this explains the massive votes for the "no".

That's the whole point of the thread, have you actually read the question in the OP?

The theists are voting "yes" just as the atheists are responding with one of the remaining 3 options.

That’s what I do, but ultimately I still require faith in order to trust the information and the respected sources, because I haven't proven the fact for myself.

Millions of people would also argue that the bible and Quran are respected sources of information.

So what do you do if you read two sources that contradict each other?

I think you misunderstand how discussion and debate works. People put forward their views which are then either accepted or questioned by others. Some people make statements which they cannot or will not explain, while others can explain themselves fully.

If you can provide an example of bullying I would like to see it, but I suspect what you are referring to is actually just debate, possibly where one or more person(s) have said something they cannot back up, so the cycle of questioning and avoidance commences.

I have only witnessed the same amount of insults from both sides, and neither has been at any extreme level, just minor comments. I have not seen any signs of anger, from either side. Mostly the thread has been discussion, made up of questions and responses.

Can you give at least 5 examples of these bullying posts and attacks?

I could give you many more then 5 examples,but i'm not going all through the thread to satisfy you.You must not have read all the posts if you are denying it. I stick by every comment i made,and if you want to see an example of what i said,read through the last few posts before this one.

What would you do?

Several of you keep asking me questions which I answer, yet none of you have the decency to answer my questions, why is that?

Sorry I answered the best way I can, what points don't you think I covered.

You need to explain my posts back to me so that I can grasp whether you've understood them or not.

Please explain how using critical thinking skills would give you the distance from here to Proxima Centauri, The only why I can find out is to read someone else’s work and rely on faith that it is correct, I wouldn’t have a clue were to start if I had to calculate the distance myself. So if critical thinking would help me I would love to know how it works.

Then why are you wasting time posting on here rather than typing 'critical thinking' into google and educating yourself about it rather than continuing with a fallacious argument.

http://atheism.about.com/od/criticalthinking/a/criticalthink_2.htm

You should take particular note of this piece on page 2;

"Language is a complex and subtle tool. It allows us to communicate all sorts of ideas, including brand-new ideas, but the same subtlety and complexity leads to all kinds of misunderstandings, ambiguities, and vagueness. The fact of the matter is, what we think we are communicating might not be what others are receiving, and what we are receiving may not be what others are intending to communicate.

Critical thinking, then, must allow for the existence of ambiguities, vagueness, and misunderstandings in our communications. A person who tries to think critically must endeavor to eliminate those factors as much as possible — for example, by trying to get key terms clearly defined early on rather than allowing a debate to proceed with people using the same words to talk about completely different concepts."

Taking on board the above would be a good start.:thumbsup:

What would you do?

Several of you keep asking me questions which I answer, yet none of you have the decency to answer my questions, why is that?

I've already answered this question a few post earlier when i described how I acquire information.

You asked me how do I critically analyse something, I posted you this question back:

I asked it you because your answer would have also answered your question about how do you critically analyse something. Is there any other questions that you want me to answer?

That’s what I do, but ultimately I still require faith in order to trust the information and the respected sources, because I haven't proven the fact for myself.

Now I'm seeing what you're doing, you're just putting faith into the sentence when it's not necessary or in place of the proper word which, in your highlighted sentence above, would be reason or logic. You're definitely trolling.

"That’s what I do, but ultimately I require reason or logic in order to trust the information and the respected sources, because I haven't proven the fact for myself."

The above would be an accurate statement.

You need to explain my posts back to me so that I can grasp whether you've understood them or not.

Then why are you wasting time posting on here rather than typing 'critical thinking' into google and educating yourself about it rather than continuing with a fallacious argument.

http://atheism.about.com/od/criticalthinking/a/criticalthink_2.htm

You should take particular note of this piece on page 2;

"Language is a complex and subtle tool. It allows us to communicate all sorts of ideas, including brand-new ideas, but the same subtlety and complexity leads to all kinds of misunderstandings, ambiguities, and vagueness. The fact of the matter is, what we think we are communicating might not be what others are receiving, and what we are receiving may not be what others are intending to communicate.

Critical thinking, then, must allow for the existence of ambiguities, vagueness, and misunderstandings in our communications. A person who tries to think critically must endeavor to eliminate those factors as much as possible — for example, by trying to get key terms clearly defined early on rather than allowing a debate to proceed with people using the same words to talk about completely different concepts."

Taking on board the above would be a good start.:thumbsup:

I’ve asked the question on how critical thinking would help me to determine the distance from here to Proxima Centauri. So far all you critical thinkers have failed to answer the question.

I've already answered this question a few post earlier when i described how I acquire information.

You asked me how do I critically analyse something, I posted you this question back:

I asked it you because your answer would have also answered your question about how do you critically analyse something. Is there any other questions that you want me to answer?

How would critical thinking help me determine the distance from here to Proxima Centauri?

Now I'm seeing what you're doing, you're just putting faith into the sentence when it's not necessary or in place of the proper word which, in your highlighted sentence above, would be reason or logic. You're definitely trolling.

The above would be an accurate statement.

How would reason or logic help me to determine the distance from here to Proxima Centauri?