Do you believe in God?

Do you believe in God?  

374 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in God?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Willing to be convinced

So all these innate critical thinking skills you think all people have will help to decide the likelihood of the truth of a statement.

In that case over 5 billion people have used their innate critical thinking skills to conclude that God is likely exist.

Edited by MrSmith

In that case over 5 billion people have used their innate critical thinking skills to conclude that God is likely exist.

For a start I think you'll find it's probably less than half the world's population that actually really believe in a god of some sort. For the vast majority, following a religion is a cultural thing and is required to stay within the 'in group' and says nothing about whether people actually believe in a god. My own view is that that figure is much less than 1 billion people worldwide.

For those few who do genuinely believe then that's precisely where the religious definition of faith comes in as 'belief without evidence' or in other words, a suspension or compartmenalisation of critical thinking skills.

Thanks for proving my point for me.

For a start I think you'll find it's probably less than half the world's population that actually really believe in a god of some sort. For the vast majority, following a religion is a cultural thing and is required to stay within the 'in group' and says nothing about whether people actually believe in a god. My own view is that that figure is much less than 1 billion people worldwide.

For those few who do genuinely believe then that's precisely where the religious definition of faith comes in as 'belief without evidence' or in other words, a suspension or compartmenalisation of critical thinking skills.

So how have your critical thinking skills established this.

Are you taking into account those who believe in God but don't follow a religion?

Speaking of "in groups" don't rule out the "in group" atheists.

Sounds to me like your faith in critical thinking skills is on par with people faith in the existence of a God, because you think your claim is true, it must be true.

Sounds to me like your faith in critical thinking skills is on par with people faith in the existence of a God, because you think your claim is true, it must be true.

Looks as if pinisho may have had enough of you Mr Smith. :hihi:

So how have your critical thinking skills established this.

http://richarddawkins.net/articles/644941-rdfrs-uk-ipsos-mori-poll-1-how-religious-are-uk-christians

Are you taking into account those who believe in God but don't follow a religion?

Of course.

Speaking of "in groups" don't rule out the "in group" atheists.

I'm not part of any in group.

Except critical thinking skills are demonstrable in the results they help produce and also allows you to understand why they help produce the results they do therefore no faith is required.

Looks as if pinisho may have had enough of you Mr Smith. :hihi:

Nah, I've just had a very enjoyable bank holiday day out away from my computer.

There's just no way I'll let MrSmith or yourself have the last word. After all right must triumph.;)

Except critical thinking skills are demonstrable in the results they help produce and also allows you to understand why they help produce the results they do therefore no faith is required.

How do you intend to demonstrate that your critical thinking skills produced the correct amount people that have a belief in God, when the evidence points to a figure of around 88% of humans believing in god? And not your presumed figure of under 20%