Do you believe in God?

Do you believe in God?  

374 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in God?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Willing to be convinced

Glad you agree that the vast majority of the population are secularists as opposed to theists.

Don't be so certain. Past history has taught us, changing circumstances can alter anything.;)

Don't be so certain. Past history has taught us, changing circumstances can alter anything.;)

Indeed. God might decide to give us all a sign. It wouldn't be that difficult for hime surely? Think of the impact it would have on us non-believers waking up to find that grass was red instead of green or that the sky was green. It's never going to happen though. No new information, just one old book.

Because thats what their rulers are.

Only in the same way their rulers are human beings, or that they breathe air, or that they eat cornflakes (maybe). You said so yourself, they carried out their actions so that they could control people, not because they don't believe in God.

What are these 'scientific types' that you refer to? Are they like scientists who put forward hypotheses which are peer reviewed and stand or fall? Or are they people who hang out in the pub wearing white coats and making silly claims about string theory?

Should 'scientific types' not come up with ideas because;

a) It annoys God

b) They might be wrong

c) They might help close the gaps in our lack of understanding?

Please enlighten me.

They are not 'like scientists'-- they are scientists. Reputable ones. Who says they should not come up with an hypothesis to explain life, the universe and everything? There is nothing wrong with questioning these things and using their knowledge to try to find the answers. I'm sure it doesn't annoy God- he gave them a brain to use how they see fit and it doesn't matter if they are wrong they can always try again, and surely C is a good thing? Scientific advancement so far has not disproved anything in my particular theory.

As for the people in white coats who hang around in Pubs--I don't go to pubs these days but when I did I never came across these kind of people let me knwo which pubs they hang out in and it might rekindle my interest in going. All they talk about in my local is the lottery, what happened in East-enders, how did Wednesday manage to get promoted over United and similar earth shattering topics!

Except any evidence that is.

Except for that, nobody has come up with any holes in my hypothesis that the big bang was farted out of the giant purple slug either.

Interesting theory, but have you any reason to believe its a slug rather than an elephant or mongoose?

They are not 'like scientists'-- they are scientists. Reputable ones. Who says they should not come up with an hypothesis to explain life, the universe and everything? There is nothing wrong with questioning these things and using their knowledge to try to find the answers. I'm sure it doesn't annoy God- he gave them a brain to use how they see fit and it doesn't matter if they are wrong they can always try again, and surely C is a good thing? Scientific advancement so far has not disproved anything in my particular theory.

As for the people in white coats who hang around in Pubs--I don't go to pubs these days but when I did I never came across these kind of people let me knwo which pubs they hang out in and it might rekindle my interest in going. All they talk about in my local is the lottery, what happened in East-enders, how did Wednesday manage to get promoted over United and similar earth shattering topics!

Come to a Humanist or Atheist Society meeting. The breadth of discussion is amazing. I have trouble keeping up. PM me if you want to know which events are coming up.

Okay, correct me if I'm wrong, but what you are saying is basically that because these "scientific types" don't have all the pieces of the puzzle yet, there must be a God. Is that right

I suppose that's one way of looking at it, you can't have any holes in a void, ie, something with an absolute absence of any evidence. Unless you can explain your hole-less theory in detail.

Not at all! There doesn't have to be a God- because of anything. There just is! It is not even necessary that you or I believe in him. You can believe what you like and the world will still turn! There is evidence every where. Many of the things written in the bible have been verified by scientific discoveries and the miracles of our univers happen every day.

Not at all! There doesn't have to be a God- because of anything. There just is! It is not even necessary that you or I believe in him. You can believe what you like and the world will still turn! There is evidence every where. Many of the things written in the bible have been verified by scientific discoveries and the miracles of our univers happen every day.

Such as? Also what discoveries are yet to be found are written in the Bible or do these things only work retrospectively?

Such as? Also what discoveries are yet to be found are written in the Bible or do these things only work retrospectively?

Sadly I can't see into the future so have no idea what discoveries may be yet be made to prove or disprove anything. I only know that evidence was uncovered which shows there appears to have been a flood of biblical proportions, and that cities descibed in the bible which were destroyed have been uncovered. I have never heard anyone deny that the tribes of Israel were devided and taken as slaves into Babylon and Egypt and then scattered across the globe to face exile and persecution or that the wars and other recorded events did not happen.

I did say I don't believe that the old testament is the word of God so much as the word of men but it does seem pretty factual historicaly.

Many of what things in the bible have been verified? Name one. Show me a daily occuring mirace while you are at it.