Do you believe in God?

Do you believe in God?  

374 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in God?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Willing to be convinced

Probably because they never went to school - Henry VIII was dead 50 years before Cromwell was born:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Who said anything about Cromwell being born before Henry? I don't get the joke or the point you're making?

Science wants to know how something came from nothing, the Bible has a answer and much more

Maybe to you the bible has an answer. but! it is not proof.

God, the bible and all other religions were made up so people could understand how our earth and universe was created because "back in the day" people did not have the science to proove it. im sorry if this has offended you but how could u really believe that a "god" created our whole universe earth and everything we know... although there are some things in my life i have seen that i cant explain, or herd of a person with a terminal illness find a cure.. i do not put that down to an act of god. it is just pure luck.

when i have asked people how can you proove that god exists they usually say something along the lines of " well you just have to have faith" faith is a believe not proof.

i could make up my own religion.. for example. a red cabbage created our whole world and our universe and somebody wrote a book about the red cabbage creating everything. people would ask.. well how do you know the red cabbage created us and everything... and i would say. well you have to have faith!!!!!!

my red cabbage religion is as valid as god and the bible. ( rant over, also i didnt want to offend anyone.. just makin a point) lol:)

God, the bible and all other religions were made up so people could understand how our earth and universe was created because "back in the day" people did not have the science to proove it.

ahem, *cough cough*, not all other religions. Buddhism specifically tells us not to ask such questions about God and the origins of the universe because they are surplus to requirement. Maybe 'theistic religions' would have been a better choice of words ;)

ahem, *cough cough*, not all other religions. Buddhism specifically tells us not to ask such questions about God and the origins of the universe because they are surplus to requirement. Maybe 'theistic religions' would have been a better choice of words ;)

Well ill probably use that phrase "theistic religion" in future debates, to be honest i've never used that word. and come ot think of it you're right on the whole buddhism thing-i-ma-bob.:)

when i have asked people how can you proove that god exists they usually say something along the lines of " well you just have to have faith" faith is a believe not proof.

i could make up my own religion.. for example. a red cabbage created our whole world and our universe and somebody wrote a book about the red cabbage creating everything. people would ask.. well how do you know the red cabbage created us and everything... and i would say. well you have to have faith!!!!!!

Yes, the faith card is usually played to get out of an awkward position. Most don't even realise that by playing that card they've lost any credibility.

Have you read the Epic of Gilgamesh? The flood happened. It is documented. If you choose to believe that your god wiped out every living thing because he was having a hissy fit and then gave us rainbows to say sorry, then just keep away from me.

I do not choose to believe God wiped out every little thing because he was having a hissy fit. I think he realised he'd made a a fatal mistake trusting humanity to use the brain he gave them in the way he'd intended and decided to start again!!

Honestly I think in those days as someone on here said people did not have scientific knowledge to make informed decisions about things so came up with idea's that made sense to them at the time. We are all bounded by known concepts of what we think we know at the time!!

I do not choose to believe God wiped out every little thing because he was having a hissy fit. I think he realised he'd made a a fatal mistake trusting humanity to use the brain he gave them in the way he'd intended and decided to start again!!

Honestly I think in those days as someone on here said people did not have scientific knowledge to make informed decisions about things so came up with idea's that made sense to them at the time. We are all bounded by known concepts of what we think we know at the time!!

So how many people did God murder when he decided to start again? Also I thought God was omnipotent, so surely he could have foreseen what happened and made us humans in such a way that he didn't have to murder every last one of us bar two.

He didn't. He gave us rainbows to remind himself not to do it again, which seems to suggest that the Abrahamic God is prone to forgetfulness.

Sorry to burst your cosmic bubble but he didn't do any such thing. Its all to do with the colours which make up white light being refracted and reflected through water droplets in the atmosphere--!

Sorry to burst your cosmic bubble but he didn't do any such thing. Its all to do with the colours which make up white light being refracted and reflected through water droplets in the atmosphere--!

That's not what the Bible says.

What about my earlier points/questions ' Firstly it wasn't a world wide flood so the moral of the Bible story is somewhat irrelevant.

Secondly if you acknowledge it is based on an earlierstory isn'titalso true that other Biblical episodes could also be 'borrowed'? If this is the case how do you seperate what you are told in the Bible from what could easilybestylized or fictional stories?

How, in other words, does the believerdistinguish between thefact and the fiction of the Bible?'

If you're acknowledging God, but picking and choosing from the Bible the bits you like what criteria are you using for those choices?