Do you believe in God?

Do you believe in God?  

374 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in God?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Willing to be convinced

You explain it to me. I've read a lot of Tudor history, and it rarely even features Ireland. Henry VIII was too busy killing his wives and fighting with France to push any real troubles on Ireland. It was the Stuarts that started the "troubles" in Ulster.

I do not presume to know as much about Irish History as you Chris.I only have knowledge from bits i have read,and what i have been told by some Irish people,who believe that if Henry had not interfered with Ireland and had made himself King (which he seemed to find time to do in spite of other distractions)then they wouldn't have had the troubled periods they had with the Stuarts that led to the recent troubles of the last century.

That's not what the Bible says.

What about my earlier points/questions ' Firstly it wasn't a world wide flood so the moral of the Bible story is somewhat irrelevant.

Secondly if you acknowledge it is based on an earlierstory isn'titalso true that other Biblical episodes could also be 'borrowed'? If this is the case how do you seperate what you are told in the Bible from what could easilybestylized or fictional stories?

How, in other words, does the believerdistinguish between thefact and the fiction of the Bible?'

If you're acknowledging God, but picking and choosing from the Bible the bits you like what criteria are you using for those choices?

But we don't believe the bible and the scientific explanation of refraction causing rainbows definitely has more creedence:hihi::hihi:

Who said anything about Cromwell being born before Henry? I don't get the joke or the point you're making?

You kept implying that Cromwell and Henry were linked in some way and I was pointing out that they weren't. As for the Irish blaming Henry I think either they didn't do history at school or they were feeding you a bit of blarney:hihi::hihi:

You kept implying that Cromwell and Henry were linked in some way and I was pointing out that they weren't. As for the Irish blaming Henry I think either they didn't do history at school or they were feeding you a bit of blarney:hihi::hihi:

Where have i implied that they were linked?

Since you were the one who introduced the Irish topic,maybe you should read this.

http://www.historyonthenet.com/Chronology/timelinenorthernireland.htm

Edited by janie48

You've answered your own question! God is greater than us and would not have done these things- ergo it didn't happen like that!!
I know I did I was being rhetorical .. or allegorical or some such, however in that case then there's a lot of things in the bible that didn't happen.

I wonder which ones they are ?

You explain it to me. I've read a lot of Tudor history, and it rarely even features Ireland. Henry VIII was too busy killing his wives and fighting with France to push any real troubles on Ireland. It was the Stuarts that started the "troubles" in Ulster.
The Irish,of which I'm a family member are fond of talking about freedom after 800 years of oppression, which puts the situation way beyond Henry VIII. I have never heard much about his involvement, except his destruction of Irish abbeys along with the ones in Britain that he also destroyed. His daughter Elizabeth 1 sent the Earl of Essex over to suppress some Irish aristocrats and he finished up getting pally with them. He got some idea about a little rebellion of his own, and lost his head for it.

I have never heard much about his involvement, except his destruction of Irish abbeys along with the ones in Britain that he also destroyed. His daughter Elizabeth 1 sent the Earl of Essex over to suppress some Irish aristocrats and he finished up getting pally with them. He got some idea about a little rebellion of his own, and lost his head for it.

I don't know enough about it to have an opinion on this, but reasoning like this is not very convincing.....

The Irish,of which I'm a family member are fond of talking about freedom after 800 years of oppression, which puts the situation way beyond Henry VIII.

Being fond of talking about something does not count as evidence for anything!

Where have i implied that they were linked?

Since you were the one who introduced the Irish topic,maybe you should read this.

http://www.historyonthenet.com/Chronology/timelinenorthernireland.htm

There is nothing that says the troubles between Catholics and Protestants killing each other started before the usurping of James II which is the religion bit I was alluding to. The rest sounds like land grabbing

I know I did I was being rhetorical .. or allegorical or some such, however in that case then there's a lot of things in the bible that didn't happen.

I wonder which ones they are ?

Apply the formula used to arrive at the last decision-- Is it sensible that a wise and good divine being would do such a thing-- yes or no?