Do you believe in God?

Do you believe in God?  

374 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in God?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Willing to be convinced

and whether you are an atheist or a theist,i think having a religious education that isn't over the top,is a good thing.

For what reasons do you think this?

How can you really understand history, and our culture and traditions without having some religious knowledge.

You can't. That is an argument for learning about history though, and not an argument for why those beliefs were true. I can understand John Calvin without having a belief in God.

The more I learn about religion, far beyond what I was taught at school, the more and more it moves me away from a belief in God. In Italy large families of banking dynasties were able to become Pope. How convenient that God's representative on earth just happened to be rich and powerful already.

Many people forget that religion is part of their historical heritage and that their education (morals, ethics) is based on principles that come from religion.

Which part of our ethics and morals come from religion?

Religion has always, and in all its forms, tried to tie itself together with morality. That only the Godly can be moral. It's an absolute fallacy, but the idea has existed for thousands of years, much longer than any modern religion, that it's still something that needs pointing out as false.

If your only reason for not killing someone is that you're scared God will punish you, then you are already amoral.

Because "religious knowledge" is not the same as a "religious upbringing", you are confusing the two. Example: I didn't have a religious upbringing but I have knowledge of religions, perhaps more than many theists. I also understand the history I was taught.

For what reasons do you think this?

You can't. That is an argument for learning about history though, and not an argument for why those beliefs were true. I can understand John Calvin without having a belief in God.

The more I learn about religion, far beyond what I was taught at school, the more and more it moves me away from a belief in God. In Italy large families of banking dynasties were able to become Pope. How convenient that God's representative on earth just happened to be rich and powerful already.

For goodness sake,i was only making a statement ( "How dare she imply that anything good came from religion")

I certainly wan't suggesting that all atheists don't have religious knowledge,and i've acknowledged before that many of them know more about religion then theists, especially the clever ones that have studied the bible.

I don't need a lesson about the corruption of church history either,i'm quite aware of it.

Dare i pass another remark i ask myself? ..................

Edited by janie48
deleted something off topic.

I don't understand your continuing unwillingness to answer any questions. If you make a statement then stand by it. Don't blame us for wanting to discuss it.

Thats a cheek! I've answered plenty of questions on this thread.Maybe they are just not the answers some people want to hear.You are making it appear i havn't contributed anything. As for my statement i stand by every word of it.

I've answered plenty of questions on this thread.

Indeed. I just don't understand the posturing. The "oh ... Dare i pass another remark i ask myself?" nonsense. If you don't want us to reply then don't post. T'is very basic. Yet again, I humbly apologise for the deep offence I have caused.

To carry on - For what reasons do you think that a religious education is a good thing?

Absolutely. Many people forget that religion is part of their historical heritage and that their education (morals, ethics) is based on principles that come from religion.

My morals, my ethics and my principles are not based on anything to do with religion. My morals are much better than those presented by any holy book.

I am morally superior to Jesus, Mohammed, Moses, and God (it's really not hard to be so).

Edited by flamingjimmy

Absolutely. Many people forget that religion is part of their historical heritage and that their education (morals, ethics) is based on principles that come from religion.

We appear to have "ruffled a few feathers" you and i.

I think its a hint to retreat, like the other theists.They'll be glad to see the back of us.

Edited by janie48

We appear to have "ruffled a few feathers" you and i.

I think its hint to retreat, like the other theists.

I don't think you (or any theists) should retreat.

For me personally it's not about attacking your beliefs, I have no problem whatsoever with people being Theistic.

I'm just interested in why people believe what they do (theist or otherwise).

The thing that confuses me is when some theists (thankfully not you, personally I enjoy reading your opinion) start saying that parts of the Bible can be verified by science and the utterly ignoring other bits of science that totally nullify other parts of it. They then, in my experience, either do one of two things, they say that some of the science is wrong or they say that the parts of the Bible that don't stand up aren't really relevant, or they are metaphorical, or some other such excuse.

I apply the same criteria to other religions as I do to Buddhism, there are parts of Buddhism that don't make sense. I don't excuse them, I don't say 'science is wrong' because it doesn't acknowledge them. I accept that there are difficulties, it does nothing to dampen my belief.

That is why I am so interested in those religious that do make such excuses, it honestly makes me think if they can lie to themselves in such a way then how much more are they capable of trying to decieve (conciously or not) other people. And that self deception is what leads to justification of atrocities in the name of religion, and I really, really like religion.

Edited by PaliRichard

My morals, my ethics and my principles are not based on anything to do with religion. My morals are much better than those presented by any holy book.

I am morally superior to Jesus, Mohammed, Moses, and God (it's really not hard to be so).

:clap::clap::clap: Well said. I am human with frailties but treat others as I expect to be treated, don't steal from my own or anybody else for that matter and as I have been an atheist since I was 13 where do you think I got my morals, my parents weren't religious and my dad died when I was 16 so I had little parental guidance from a quite young age