Do you believe in God?

Do you believe in God?  

374 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in God?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Willing to be convinced

It is a stupid idea. Religious people 'believe' they have 'faith' they require neither proof nor reason, Atheists don't 'believe' the have no 'faith' they want proof and reason.

You are wrong, people can and do change, it just doesn't happen very often.

It's hard to reason with religious people, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth trying. And in any case, debate can be a reward in itself. I appreciate a well-constructed argument even if it doesn't change my mind.

You seem to have a comprehension problem, I haven't contributed to the debate for or against belief in god.

I have merely commented on the nature of such a debate.

Do you believe in God?

I don't believe in god.

Then the following would point to your disbelief...which is a contribution to this thread.

It is a stupid idea. Religious people 'believe' they have 'faith' they require neither proof nor reason, Atheists don't 'believe' the have no 'faith' they want proof and reason.

It's hard to reason with religious people, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth trying. And in any case, debate can be a reward in itself. I appreciate a well-constructed argument even if it doesn't change my mind.

I would never have noticed that if you hadn't pointed it out.:hihi:

So if an SF meeting is arranged with you in attendance, can I invite a friend to join me. You would really like him, his name is Peter Hitchens.

I would never have noticed that if you hadn't pointed it out.:hihi:

So if an SF meeting is arranged with you in attendance, can I invite a friend to join me. You would really like him, his name is Peter Hitchens.

Are you telling fibs, Janie?

This debate reminds me of previous debates that prompted a number (albeit a small number) of SF people to get together in a central locality (ok, a pub in town) to discuss the issue with a drink around a table in a friendly fashion.

I'd be pleased to attend a similar evening. The only problem I foresee is a shortage of god-defenders. Is there/are there any believers who would be willing to attend an evening of good-natured debate? I suspect that there would be several amongst us who might be up for a pint and a chat to discuss 'Is there a God?' but I'm not sure if anyone is prepared to put their faith up for discussion.

Any takers, on either side? Edit: or all keyboard warriers?!

I'm up for it if anybody else is.....especially if theists are willing to come along.

I've already had some good natured discussions with Quisquose, Plekhanov, Suffragette and FairDooz.:)

Just need a few theists now.

I've already met up with one theist from these forums, despite his assurances to the contrary he spent most of the time trying to convert me and the rest of it trying to find excuses for the holes in his evidence.

I'm not really into trying to find out why people believe what they do, that's up to them. My interest lies in when they claim to have scientific evidence to back up that belief.