Do you believe in God?

Do you believe in God?  

374 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in God?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Willing to be convinced

The Babylonians had knowledge on human gestation long before Muhammed made his statements. Aristotle later got even closer to the truth, without divine help.

Secondly, the new translations like to use modern scientific terms. The words that once ment "clot of blood" or "leech like substance" now take on really specific modern scientific terms.

Sahih International

23:12 And certainly did We create man from an extract of clay.

23:13 Then We placed him as a sperm-drop in a firm lodging.

23:14 Then We made the sperm-drop into a clinging clot, and We made the clot into a lump [of flesh], and We made [from] the lump, bones, and We covered the bones with flesh; then We developed him into another creation. So blessed is Allah , the best of creators.

I suppose it's quite easy to make science fit into Islam when they rewrite their holy book.

I agree.

I find it quite sad that translators try to put there opinion (or an agenda) on the work they are translating.

I personally prefer older translations of religious texts because despite being more difficult to read they tend to be more impartial in their translation, I also work with at least three translations and if possible the original in my studies so there is plenty of scope for cross referencing things that look a little 'out of kilter' with the general tone of the passage.

There seems to be a trend with some Muslims to infer things on the Quran that both aren't present and that it doesn't claim.

As well as the dodgy translation as you have pointed out there are also a small number of (alas influencial) 'scholars' that infer scientific 'proof' in the text. Along with some already talked about one that stands out is the meaning of the word 'Noor', which some try to tell us (in relation to the moon) means exclusively reflected light, and this, we are told, is further proof of the Qurans miraculous status (due to it being unknown that the moons light was reflected at the time).

Unfortunately for such propositions there is the small matter of both the Chinese and the Greeks (and I would guess, although I don't know, many others) knowing this almost 1000 years before Mohammad and the fact that Noor does not either in its Islamic form or its root form mean exclusively reflected light.

Alas until people like jaeson start studying for themselves they will be subject to the opinions of those popular 'scholars' with an agenda and pass on the information they recieve as a representation of Islam.

I am now 78 and never did and I am not about to change as, unlike many people, I do not fear death, not that I want to depart because I am having a wonderful life. I do think that it is this fear of death that makes people believe. Here in Indonesia where I am presently living, most people believe. There again they believe in idiot paranormals, sandals that will make you grow 20cm, doves in cages that keep evil spirits away, slimming tea that will prevent you from gaining a single gram, regardless of what you consume, creams that will turn your skin from brown to pearly white etc etc. UGH!

If you say "There is no God", then you're simply ignorant to the size of the universe and our place within it.

A believers opinion is much more credible because the size of the universe is vast, and only a fool would believe out of 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in the observable universe that ours hosts the smartest civilization.

And if you believe there's a chance that there are smarter civilizations, then there's a chance that they have the technology to create life (Just as humans can) thus bringing the possibility of a creator into existence.

There should be no atheists left on the forum after reading that, unless they simply cannot comprehend the scale of the universe.

And it is difficult, so to be fair I would forgive anybody as stupid as an atheist for not understanding.

Everybody is agnostic whether they like it or not, because none of us know. That's the only certainty.

If you say "There is no God", then you're simply ignorant to the size of the universe and our place within it.

The universe is vast, thus God exists. That's your argument?

And if you believe there's a chance that there are smarter civilizations, then there's a chance that they have the technology to create life (Just as humans can) thus bringing the possibility of a creator into existence.

So life on our planet was possibly created by an alien race?

Who created life on their planet?

And it is difficult, so to be fair I would forgive anybody as stupid as an atheist for not understanding.

Your generosity knows no bounds.

Everybody is agnostic whether they like it or not, because none of us know. That's the only certainty.[/b]

If none of us know, why is a theist's opinion much more credible?

yes i do. because behind this world,space,sky,trees,oceans,people and more more..

there is who made them,not only made, also keeping them performing for humans.

So it is the only one him.

Some people will say why we cant see him. I say ok i use my brain to do my things,decide,think,learn,feel etc... but i dont see my brain so!!

Also when i follow him i become so happy and have easy life. if i have bad things that is mean he wants to hear my prays.

yes i do. because behind this world,space,sky,trees,oceans,people and more more..

there is who made them,not only made, also keeping them performing for humans.

So it is the only one him.

Some people will say why we cant see him. I say ok i use my brain to do my things,decide,think,learn,feel etc... but i dont see my brain so!!

Also when i follow him i become so happy and have easy life. if i have bad things that is mean he wants to hear my prays.

I have £10 billion in my bank accout.

Some people say it is not there, but I know it is there because whenever I produce my bank card in any shop there has always been enough to buy whatever I have wanted. Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean it is not there.

Knowing it is there makes me happy.

Forumosaurus

Everybody is agnostic whether they like it or not, because none of us know. That's the only certainty.

I am an agnostic but................

If you say "There is no God", then you're simply ignorant to the size of the universe and our place within it[/Quote]

The size of the universe is irrelevant to wether there is a God or not.

A believers opinion is much more credible because the size of the universe is vast, and only a fool would believe out of 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in the observable universe that ours hosts the smartest civilization[/Quote]

I can't speak for other atheists but I don't know wether ours is the 'smartest' (not sure what that means) civilization, I'm cerainly very open to the idea that there may be many, many more out there much smarter than us.

I absolutely and totally have no idea whatsoever what that has to do with the opinion of a believer being more credible.

And if you believe there's a chance that there are smarter civilizations, then there's a chance that they have the technology to create life (Just as humans can) thus bringing the possibility of a creator into existence[/Quote]

There may well be a 'creator' in that sense, that alas is not a God, you're confusing yourself. Also that leaves the problem of who created the creator, thus your proposition spirals backwards eternally (or until a defined 'beggining') which means it doesn't actually solve the problem of the creator.

There should be no atheists left on the forum after reading that, unless they simply cannot comprehend the scale of the universe[/Quote]

The scale of the universe is irrelevant to your proposal, it doesn't address why someone should be either Theistic or atheist (or any variant thereof) in any way whatsoever.

And it is difficult, so to be fair I would forgive anybody as stupid as an atheist for not understanding[/Quote]

It's not difficult, what is difficult is understanding why you are equating a potential ET 'creator' with God in such a definate manner. Even if ET's did create humans (and far be it or me to speculate on such a thing, although I personally don't believe they did) you have not explained the problem of who created the ET's to begin with.