Do you believe in God?

Do you believe in God?  

374 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in God?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Willing to be convinced

I believe in God and my life is better for my belief.

I looked into Hinduism in the 1990s but when I lost my father in 1998 and gained a daughter (and subsequently another) I read the Bible and realised that God filled the void created by my father's passing and also became an authority to whom I could give thanks for my many blessings.

I don't care one jot what non-believers think other than they seem very agitated toward people like myself.

I looked into Hinduism in the 1990s but when I lost my father in 1998 and gained a daughter (and subsequently another) I read the Bible and realised that God filled the void created by my father's passing and also became an authority to whom I could give thanks for my many blessings.

I don't care one jot what non-believers think other than they seem very agitated toward people like myself.

Calm down dear, its only religion......

We're not agitated, we just don't understand why you as an adult believe in fairies:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

My only question with the theory of evolution ,is why we are the only species on the face of the earth to have become so intelligent? With all the other millions of species we have co-existed with(insects,birds,mammals,fish,reptiles etc)not a 1 other species has really evolved at all,but we have evolved at warp speed in a very short space of time.It's like someone picked us out of the crowd.

That's like saying why are Giraffes the only species with really long necks... It's like someone picked Giraffes out of the crowd.

In our case, our brains and opposable thumbs served our survival. In the Giraffes case, longer necks served their survival. In both cases, the ones with the better of those traits survived - allowing them to pass those traits to the next generation... and so on.

There's no need to assume someone picked them from the crowd.

No matter what one believes the main question remains as to how it all started....God could be a chemical reaction that started or created it all.

So if a chemical reaction caused it all, you would call the chemical reaction god.

If the absence of heat started the process that led to the development of a snowflake, would you call that god, too?

Edited by Ryedo40
missed a word

Do you ever question why you believe? And I don't mean question your beliefs, I mean question WHY you believe.

What makes you sure?

IF there is a heaven (or equivelent for all the other many faiths) and God exists and is a just God, there would be a fair few atheists who get in and a fair few believers who don't. Faith doesn't qualify people as being good or righteous.

Yes sometimes i question why i believe.I havn't really go an explanation.Its just something i feel. I base that on my life experiences and events that are personal. Sometime ago i was going through a difficult time,as we all do at different stages in life.At that time i watched a documentary on TV which was about Christianity. I think it must have come at the right time for me because it proviided answers that made sense to me. Exploring the evidence in an unbiased way,and presented by an atheist who made a surprising comment at the end.

What makes me so sure you ask, some of that i've just explained,but i do listen to opposing views,I just can't be convinced otherwise.So in that respect i'm the same as them, because they can't be convinced of a reason to believe either.

Science has not provided all the answers .So much is a mystery,unfathomable! and will probably remain that way.

Like i've said before i believe in an afterlife,but i don't consider that believing in a faith grants anyone any favours.Its all about how you live your life,not what you believe in. I know many atheists who lead much better lives then i do.

So if a chemical reaction caused it all, you would call the chemical reaction god.

If the absence of heat started the process that led to the development of a snowflake, would you call god, too?

More to the point,

What do you think started it all ?

This is a thought experiment, it requires infinite resources to function, hence it is and only ever will be a thought experiment.

If you took the width of the observable universe, roughly 13.5 billion light years, then constructed a cube 13.5 billion light years on a side in Planck length units (~1.6*10^-35M) you would have a mind bogglingly large number of Planck length units in the cube, comfortably more than there are particles in the universe, probably more than you could actually write down using all the available particles in the universe.

Mind bogglingly huge as the number of cells in this cube would be it is still a finite number and much, much less, than the number of monkeys and typewriters being talked about in the experiment.

Infinite does not just mean very large, infinite means more than anything

Even then there are different infinities and it's not clear from the description which infinity is being used to specify the number of monkeys.

-EDIT-

And I should point out it's not me who brought up the infinite number of monkeys and typewriter thing it was this post http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=8776492&postcount=130 so if anyone wants to poke holes in the experiment that's the post to respond to.

That’s a lot of monkeys and type writers and far less than the monkeys that actually managed to write a sonnet using a typewriter they invented, and all because some random events and mutations turned them into us.