Do you believe in God?

Do you believe in God?  

374 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in God?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Willing to be convinced

you either believe or you dont . i just know in my bones it cant be all over w hen we expire on earth. i know well see our loved ones again . it cant be nothing at all. i wont believe the alternative we are put on this earth to live and learn. and thats what keeps me going . if we all loved each other more wars would disapear i allways was a dreamer. but dreams do come true if youbelieve

you either believe or you dont . i just know in my bones it cant be all over w hen we expire on earth. i know well see our loved ones again . it cant be nothing at all. i wont believe the alternative
So you don't 'know it in your bones' then, you've just closed your mind to the alternative?

Also, yes, you either believe or you don't, but that's not to say that you can't change.

i allways was a dreamer. but dreams do come true if youbelieve
No they don't, believing does nothing, and has no effect on the external world. Dreams come true if you act on them and make them come true yourself.

Who here knows what 'god' means? What it is that the word 'god' refers to? Would it not make sense to reach a consensus on this one issue, before engaging in debate as to weather or not it exists?

Also, are we to assume that this thing we debate, is limited to having a state of either existing or not-existing? Also, are we to assume that it is something that can be communicated through the medium of language?

But please, don't let me stop the pantomime!...

In response to this I particularly like the latest blog post by PZ Myers.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2012/06/13/i-can-only-read-plantinga-for-the-lulz/

I am certain that “god” is a useless term. It’s utterly incoherent; some people babble about the god of the Christian Bible, which is an anthropomorphic being with vast magic powers and the emotional stability of an 8-year-old on meth. Others talk about an all-pervasive force in the universe, or use meaningless phrases like “the ground state of all being”, or chatter about a reified emotion like “love”. The really annoying thing about discussions with these people is that they’ll cheerfully switch definitions on you in mid-stream. Getting battered because the whole concept of an omnipotent being existing in the form of an Iron Age patriarch in the sky is silly? No problem! Just announce that god is everywhere and in you and that god is love. Trying hard to justify your regressive social policies using an amorphous principle like love, and finding the atheists turning the whole principle of benignity back on you? No problem! Just announce that god so loved us that he became a man, and if you’re opponents reject that concept, they’ll be thrown into Hell by God the Judge.

Plantinga is an excellent example of this theological muddle. On the one hand, he wants to argue for a cosmos-spanning Mind; on the other, a bigoted narrow being with a chosen race and a preferred position for sexual intercourse, who wants to be cosseted and praised for all eternity. Pick a clear definition for god, and be consistent about it, please. And then persuade all the other theologians that your definition is the correct one. Then come argue with the atheists when you know what the hell you’re talking about.

God IS a useless term, and it's so slippery that theists seem to be able to hold contradictory definitions in their mind simultaneously. Philosophically it's useful to believe in some deistic force when arguing with atheists, whilst worshipping the gay-hating variety in Church/Mosque.

So let's remember the words of PZ Myers, and demand that theists deliver as follows if they want any credibility for their god:

"Pick a clear definition for god, and be consistent about it, please. And then persuade all the other theologians that your definition is the correct one. Then come argue with the atheists when you know what the hell you’re talking about".

Yes I believe in God because when ever we face trouble or in any adverse circumstances

I remember God and my problem is solved and second things is that if there is no God then

how it is possible that it so big world is stable except God no have capacity that do impossible things God can make impossible to possible .

Thanks.

Amen to that.

The 28% religious (prob 10% with 2% actually practicing) for christians pretty much blows the 70% claim everyone in Britain is christian out the water doesn't it.

These people trying to claim that Britain is essentially a christian white British country need a slap.

Edited by TJC1
....a slap.