Do you believe in God?

Do you believe in God?  

374 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in God?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Willing to be convinced

God IS a useless term, and it's so slippery that theists seem to be able to hold contradictory definitions in their mind simultaneously. Philosophically it's useful to believe in some deistic force when arguing with atheists, whilst worshipping the gay-hating variety in Church/Mosque.

So let's remember the words of PZ Myers, and demand that theists deliver as follows if they want any credibility for their god:

"Pick a clear definition for god, and be consistent about it, please. And then persuade all the other theologians that your definition is the correct one. Then come argue with the atheists when you know what the hell you’re talking about".

Did you read this?

I can only speak for myself, when I define god, I would say there is no god other than that which you are, the entirety of your being, and of everything else, both the source and manifestation of the totality of all there is. But that just is; it doesn't require any puny three letter label to stick on it.

The 28% religious (prob 10% with 2% actually practicing) for christians pretty much blows the 70% claim everyone in Britain is christian out the water doesn't it.

These people trying to claim that Britain is essentially a christian white British country need a slap.

I'm trying the old "if you can't beat em, join em"

Well looking at the poll result since TJCI posted his/her last sarcastic slap! comment the theists have one more vote.

I expect that is partly due to my good influence.:hihi:

God takes the time to help you out of a difficult situation whilst letting nine million children die each and every year? You must be saying your prayers properly.

What was the point of the personal insult.If you didn't like the comments of the poster i was replying to, you should have addressed it with them.

Edited by janie48

In response to this I particularly like the latest blog post by PZ Myers.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2012/06/13/i-can-only-read-plantinga-for-the-lulz/

God IS a useless term, and it's so slippery that theists seem to be able to hold contradictory definitions in their mind simultaneously. Philosophically it's useful to believe in some deistic force when arguing with atheists, whilst worshipping the gay-hating variety in Church/Mosque.

So let's remember the words of PZ Myers, and demand that theists deliver as follows if they want any credibility for their god:

"Pick a clear definition for god, and be consistent about it, please. And then persuade all the other theologians that your definition is the correct one. Then come argue with the atheists when you know what the hell you’re talking about".

The logical conclusion to this is that the term atheist is itself meaningless as it implies there is something meaningful to actually believe in. In lieu of a coherent definition of God there is not.

jb

What was the point of the personal insult.
How was that an insult? It's a compliment. You must be praying better than all of the starving children in the world otherwise god would just sort out their problems like he sorts out yours, surely?

Religious people in rich countries with a high standard of living are like the prayer masters, it always seems to work for them, perhaps God just doesn't like poor people.

Yes I believe in God because when ever we face trouble or in any adverse circumstances

I remember God and my problem is solved and second things is that if there is no God then

how it is possible that it so big world is stable except God no have capacity that do impossible things God can make impossible to possible .

Thanks.

So basically what your saying is that all the starving people in the world, all the people suffering, and dying, from diseases and disability could solve all their problems by simply believing in God. It's hard to believe such a simple solution to all the worlds ills hasn't been thought of before.

jb

The logical conclusion to this is that the term atheist is itself meaningless as it implies there is something meaningful to actually believe in. In lieu of a coherent definition of God there is not.

jb

Certainly I think the atheists have a point, re: the multitude of definitions and meaning, how people intend the word 'god' etc; that it leads to a lot of confusion, and muddies the waters.

Anyhow, I was reading about ignotisism on Wikipeadea (you mentioned it previously, thank you) and found it most interesting. I think it does somewhat reflect my own perspective.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Edited by Waldo

jb

You are correct insofar as the atheist who claims to know that God does not exist, but perhaps not for the vast majority of atheists who simply lack belief in the claims of clerics, no matter how they fail to properly define their Gods.

Something doesn't have to be adequately defined to lack belief in it.

Logically there is no more a need for the word atheist to describe somebody who disbelieves in gods than there is to have a word to describe somebody who disbelieves in trolls, but then there's no word to describe troll believers either. Practically though, due to the influence wielded by people that claim their particular god exists, and the fact that god believers do have many words to describe themselves, atheist has evolved as a useful word.

Edited by quisquose