Do you believe in God?

Do you believe in God?  

374 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in God?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Willing to be convinced

No i havn't read it,I have just read the odd brief article about him.

I've seen the Richard Attenborough film Gandhi which i thought was very good.

I have a pile of books waiting to be read at present,but i have added that one to my list of books to get.

I'm not an expert on Gandhi by any means but having seen the film I would suggest many of the scenes are adapted from his autobiography, it is very touching and personal, and I would say possibly the most honest autobiography I have ever read.

I'm not sure if it's still available, I would suggest so considering it's Gandhi but you might have to shop around, I read my Dad's copy which he bought 40+ years ago so I can't be sure :(

Oh, the story of Moses/10 commandments and his mass slaughter is just a great example of the contradictions of the bible. It's got nothing to do with whether or not God exists.

Like most rational thinkers, if conclusive proof is given, I will believe.

Even better than that, if even a reason to believe is presented, I will consider it.

That's me.

If the evidence was there I would accept God, the difficulty lies in those Theists that claim there is evidence and when asked to present it either shy away completely (which suggests they know what they claim is wrong) or present a very basic, simplistic understanding of the 'evidence' which turns out to be flawed, or their understanding of it is flawed.

I sympathise with the urge to find evidence for the belief in God (Buddhism has elements that don't go hand in hand with scientific understanding) but I think it is vitally important as a religious person to acknowledge that, not try to pull a veil over it, and certainly not to claim evidence is there when it isn't.

If the evidence was there I would accept God, the difficulty lies in those Theists that claim there is evidence and when asked to present it either shy away completely (which suggests they know what they claim is wrong) or present a very basic, simplistic understanding of the 'evidence' which turns out to be flawed, or their understanding of it is flawed.

Yes well until someone provides me with any evidence that the God i believe in does not exist i will continue to believe.

If we theists are wrong and there is no afterlife the question will have been answered because we will no longer exist,but as we will be no more we will have never discovered the answer,if that makes sense.

I choose to accept the main core of the sixty books in the bible without any desire to study any of them in great detail (irrational as that may sound to some people),faith to me doesn't have to be about great knowledge and study and education.

I certainly don't have any desire to study the parts of the old testament that go into detail about the history of the Israelites and centuries of tribal wars.Why the early Christians chose to include those books when choosing which would be formed into the bible i don't know,it seems they considered that the ancestral line of Jesus was of great importance and Judia/Christian history should be an inclusive content.

Yes well until someone provides me with any evidence that the God i believe in does not exist i will continue to believe.

Nobody will ever provide you with that proof because you cannot prove that something doesn't exist. I think theists are aware of this and tend to stick with it as though it's a justification.

It's like the invisible red cube (all hail), you can't prove it doesn't exist.

If we theists are wrong and there is no afterlife the question will have been answered because we will no longer exist,but as we will be no more we will have never discovered the answer,if that makes sense.

Yes. Personally I'm not curious of the answer, but there's no reason for me to believe anything else happens after death.

I choose to accept the main core of the sixty books in the bible without any desire to study any of them in great detail (irrational as that may sound to some people),faith to me doesn't have to be about great knowledge and study and education.

But why do you choose to only believe the holy book(s) of Christianity?

I certainly don't have any desire to study the parts of the old testament that go into detail about the history of the Israelites and centuries of tribal wars.Why the early Christians chose to include those books when choosing which would be formed into the bible i don't know,it seems they considered that the ancestral line of Jesus was of great importance and Judia/Christian history should be an inclusive content.

Yes, ignore it and carry on!

" Ignorance is bliss"

No thats not entirely true,i have thought about it and decided that the Christian message (with some reservations) is believable to me,but whats right for me doesn't have to be right for others. Each to their own.

Some atheists believe in an afterlife, and some theists don't.

But assuming there is one, how would you like to spend eternity? It's a long time you know, so given a choice I would go for sleeping. Anything else would become insanely irritating ... eventually.

Some atheists believe in an afterlife, and some theists don't.

But assuming there is one, how would you like to spend eternity? It's a long time you know, so given a choice I would go for sleeping. Anything else would become insanely irritating ... eventually.

I would sleep longer and better there i suppose because it would be more relaxing.I would like to think i could sleep at will, depending on the company!

I would sleep longer and better there i suppose because it would be more relaxing.I would like to think i could sleep at will, depending on the company!

So how would you like to spend eternity?

What's your idea of heaven?