Do you believe in God?

Do you believe in God?  

374 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in God?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Willing to be convinced

To some of us God does exist,and can't be imagined or visualised but is present in every act of human kindness.

What about the acts of cruelty though? Why doesn't god intervene and stop those?

There is no god by the way, just people daft enough to believe there is.

YES! God DOES exist!!!

He's all around us. And he's watching. And oh my is he displeased. Judgement day is coming for you non believing sinners where upon the almighty god will cast a level 10 fireball and strike you down in a ball of flames. That said "happy Easter" and god bless us, everyone.

To some of us God does exist,and can't be imagined or visualised but is present in every act of human kindness.

Is God not omnipresent, and therefore present in every act, whether kind or cruel?

---------- Post added 31-03-2013 at 09:45 ----------

What about the acts of cruelty though? Why doesn't god intervene and stop those?

There is no god by the way, just people daft enough to believe there is.

What is God? What is it that you don't believe in and that daft people only believe in?

---------- Post added 31-03-2013 at 09:46 ----------

Does God exist? Maybe, maybe not. Hard to say. It's a matter of faith rather than reason really.

Is there not reason for faith, then?

:huh: Just been on my mind recently. What do people think?

No.

Not unless A,You are stupid, B, You are insecure or C, you are stupid and insecure.

hth.

---------- Post added 31-03-2013 at 10:12 ----------

Does God exist? Maybe, maybe not. Hard to say. It's a matter of faith rather than reason really.

No. Its a matter of fact.

The faith argument is a weak one and holds no water.

Besides the op didnt ask about faith (weather or not people have faith he exists) they asked if he/she/it exists.

---------- Post added 31-03-2013 at 10:13 ----------

YES! God DOES exist!!!

He's all around us. And he's watching. And oh my is he displeased. Judgement day is coming for you non believing sinners where upon the almighty god will cast a level 10 fireball and strike you down in a ball of flames. That said "happy Easter" and god bless us, everyone.

Oh well if you put it like that...................

Why do you need God to stop that?

Good human beings can stop cruelty where ever possible.

Edited by Guest
tags

Is there not reason for faith, then?

It depends, faith and blind faith are different (neither actually means that what you have faith in is correct).

If I want a new fence building and see an add in the paper that says 'excellent fence company' and book them without checking their credentials that is an act of blind faith.

If I want one building and my mate says 'I've just used 'excellent fence company' and I go and examine his fence and it looks sturdy and well made I then have faith that they are 'excellent'.

Likewise if I am merely told, from a young age for example, that God exists and I should believe then this is blind faith.

If I am told God exists and is facilitates each and every act of goodness, and I see those acts of goodness then I can have genuine faith.

Faith is not a measure of truth though, despite my mates recommendation my fence could fall down, despite ascribing acts of goodness to God I may merely be turning a blind eye to acts of hatred - but faith is arrived it by applying reason (albeit limited reason) blind faith is merely walking onto a motorway and saying 'I trust in God that I will survive'.

If there is no god, then it is reasonable (in my opinion) to posit that this planet is in no way special, and intelligent life is scattered throughout the universe, if not the galaxy.

There will be beings immeasurably less intelligent and advanced than humans. There will be beings immeasurably more intelligent and advanced than humans.

Would any of us be able to distinguish one of these immeasurably superior ultrabeings from a god? No.

So on the balance of probability, if there is no God, then gods exist. And if there are no gods, I'd suspect the hand of a creator God in that fact.

Edited by Phanerothyme

No.

Not unless A,You are stupid, B, You are insecure or C, you are stupid and insecure[/Quote]

I know absolutely loads of Theists who are neither stupid nor insecure.

Likewise I know loads of atheists who are both stupid and insecure.

You may need to expand your reasoning a little.

No. Its a matter of fact[/Quote]

Facts (in the scientific sense) are subject to change.

Facts in the philosophical sense are more often than not relative, again you may need to expand.

The faith argument is a weak one and holds no water.

Besides the op didnt ask about faith (weather or not people have faith he exists) they asked if he/she/it exists[/Quote]

Unless we have an absolute answer faith is one of the only things we can measure the question by. We have to take the 'evidence' of God provided by those of faith and examine that, apply reason to that evidence and see if it stands up to scrutiny. Having done this for many different faith groups and many different 'schools' of thought within thoise groups it is my opinion that God doesn't exist.

If you're not disproving the evidence provided by faith groups what exactly is it that you are measuring to say 'God doesn't exist'?

Oh well if you put it like that...................

I agree, saying things like that is not at all helpful.