374 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in God?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Willing to be convinced

How so ?

For what reasons?

Genuinely interested to hear your answers. You're one of the smarter ones here that doesn't prescribe themselves as an atheist.

That's kind of you.

I posted my reasoning, a few posts back.

If there is no god, then it is reasonable (in my opinion) to posit that this planet is in no way special, and intelligent life is scattered throughout the universe, if not the galaxy.

There will be beings immeasurably less intelligent and advanced than humans. There will be beings immeasurably more intelligent and advanced than humans.

Would any of us be able to distinguish one of these immeasurably superior ultrabeings from a god? No.

So on the balance of probability, if there is no God, then gods exist. And if there are no gods, I'd suspect the hand of a creator God in that fact.

Providing you don't implicitly define god as "something that cannot exist" (thus nullifying meaningful discussion) , I think that about sums it up.

Happy to discuss it of course! :)

That's kind of you.

I posted my reasoning, a few posts back.

If there is no god, then it is reasonable (in my opinion) to posit that this planet is in no way special, and intelligent life is scattered throughout the universe, if not the galaxy.

There will be beings immeasurably less intelligent and advanced than humans. There will be beings immeasurably more intelligent and advanced than humans.

Would any of us be able to distinguish one of these immeasurably superior ultrabeings from a god? No.

So on the balance of probability, if there is no God, then gods exist. And if there are no gods, I'd suspect the hand of a creator God in that fact.

Providing you don't implicitly define god as "something that cannot exist" (thus nullifying meaningful discussion) , I think that about sums it up.

Happy to discuss it of course! :)

Hmm, so your assumption that gods exist relies on your rather large assumption that we wouldn't be able to distinguish one of these immeasurably superior ultrabeings from a god.

Even if that were the case, not being able to tell the difference does not make them gods.

It's not a baseless assumption.

Regardless, let's leave the nomenclature out for a moment, and just see if we can agree that there's a high probability that beings, with minds and abilities immeasurably superior our own (to lift from Herbert Wells for a moment), exist, somewhere in the universe.

I'm asserting that to assume otherwise (that Earth harbours the only examples of intelligent life in the universe) is essentially special pleading.

Anything wrong with that view, in isolation?

It's not a baseless assumption.

I didn't say it was

Regardless, let's leave the nomenclature out for a moment, and just see if we can agree that there's a high probability that beings, with minds and abilities immeasurably superior our own (to lift from Herbert Wells for a moment), exist, somewhere in the universe.

I'm asserting that to assume otherwise (that Earth harbours the only examples of intelligent life in the universe) is essentially special pleading.

Anything wrong with that view, in isolation?

No, totally agree

EDIT: Don't mean to sound rude, is there anything more to come, with regards to your point?

Edited by RootsBooster

I didn't say it was

No, totally agree

Cool.

So these 'ultrabeings' (for want of a better term) are superior to us in every way possible and have a high probability of existence. What are the limits to their capabilities?

I'm not saying there aren't limits. What I am saying is that if we acknowledge we're not the cleverest, most capable beings in the universe, there's no way we could comprehend, let alone delineate, the capability envelope of ultrabeings.

Any objections to my reasoning thus far?

Cool.

So these 'ultrabeings' (for want of a better term) are superior to us in every way possible and have a high probability of existence. What are the limits to their capabilities?

I don't know. They'd have to be pretty bloody omnipotent though to be confused with God, or each individual have their own unique powers over different elements etc to be confused with pantheistic gods!

I'm not saying there aren't limits. What I am saying is that if we acknowledge we're not the cleverest, most capable beings in the universe, there's no way we could comprehend, let alone delineate, the capability envelope of ultrabeings.

Any objections to my reasoning thus far?

No

No I don't. I don't have any issue with people who do though, we all have to believe in something.

Why don't I believe in God? Simple. If I did then life wouldn't be so rubbish (for me and for others), various issues wouldn't exist (famine etc) and the world would just be a better place.

However, I guess if life was all happy happy joy joy then perhaps that too would be rubbish.

Meh!

Daft as it sounds , I believe in humanity , as Bob Marley put it , "those we've lost along the way" . I think people still continue to live in our memories and I can think of many instances where the memory of people I'd once loved have influenced life changing decisions in one way or another, whether I knew it at the time or not .

Life is frustratingly short , how many Forum posters will still be around 50 years from now ?? Surely , now it's time to start being nice to , and respecting one another ? Just try and be nice , see things from other people's point of view , and stop being so nasty to each other . No smiley .

There is no evidence for ultra beings whatsoever, in fact science write about the probability of life not being scattered a little more around the universe in a book called the great silence.

I do believe that a knowledge of our creator and his plan is available, it can not be concluded on a forum post ,the beautiful way in which done fits so perfectly into the system of free will (knowledge of good and evil )

I have looked at most religious systems and books and find many reasons why they are not for me ,some are the result of a man good intentions, some are a subversion and even God's word has been used for gain

I thank God I know the beginning and the end and have the confidence to say

God did not created the earth in vain

Like jesus said when he comes back it will be like in the days of Noe

One Idiot building his ark on Sheffield Forum