Do you believe in God?  

374 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in God?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Willing to be convinced

Why gods?

People have a hard time trying to gather enough understanding if a god exists- why go plural?

IMO it makes it harder and more complex- a lot more difficult to explain.

The bold bit.

Why?

Why does the explanation of multiple Gods, or one God with seperate 'attributes' (sorry i can't think of a better word) like the Christian, or Hindu God have to be 'harder' or more complex than the explanation of one God?

Can you explain one God?

The bold bit.

Why?

Why does the explanation of multiple Gods, or one God with seperate 'attributes' (sorry i can't think of a better word) like the Christian, or Hindu God have to be 'harder' or more complex than the explanation of one God?

Can you explain one God?

Well, I think you get in to the question if that god made that god, then that god made that god and that god made that god...Ad infinitum.

There would be no beginning- so I believe the concept of one god is most logic.

Well, I think you get in to the question if that god made that god, then that god made that god and that god made that god...Ad infinitum.

Or that group of humans imagined that God and this group of human imagined this God and those humans imagined another God. It would have been a lot more difficult to explain if all humans imagined the same Got despite never meeting or communicating with other.

Or that group of humans imagined that God and this group of human imagined this God and those humans imagined another God. It would have been a lot more difficult to explain if all humans imagined the same Got despite never meeting or communicating with other.

That's irrelevant right now- I was only looking at the concept of one god being the most logically explainable.

Is it not possible that humans distorted this by adding as they went along..

That's irrelevant right now- I was only looking at the concept of one god being the most logically explainable.

But that is not the case, there is no logical argument for the existence of one god, just like there is no logical argument for many gods. They are precisely both equally without logic.

Whilst neither is logical, the concept of a pantheon of multiple gods makes far more sense to me than one god. That would explain the violent confrontational and extremely competetive nature of life on earth, and would explain suffering infinitely better than any Christian, Jewish, or Islamic concept, all of which fail miserably.

Edited by flamingjimmy

Is it not possible that humans distorted this by adding as they went along..

Subtracting, surely. Polytheism existed before monotheism.

The early Gods were not even imagined to be like us, Egypt being an obvious example. The Greeks were one of the early societies to imagine that Gods actually looked like them, but even then they could take on other forms. Zeus the Bull, stealing Europa.

Even early monotheism is built on the assumption of other Gods.

Exodus 20:3 - Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

If other Gods don't exist, then there wouldn't be a command as to who was to be before any other.

You don't need to get into the question of this God made that God do you? There is nothing wrong with the idea that they are independent of each other, all that leaves us with is the difficulty of who made God - but this philosophical problem is the same whet we are talki about one God or a billion Gods.

Your answer doesn't explain one God with different facets, nor does it give us an explanation of one God. Can you go into why you think the belief in any God is 'logical'?

But that is not the case, there is no logical argument for the existence of one god, just like there is no logical argument for many gods. They are precisely both equally without logic.

Whilst neither is logical, the concept of a pantheon of multiple gods makes far more sense to me than one god. That would explain the violent confrontational and extremely competetive nature of life on earth, and would explain suffering infinitely better than any Christian, Jewish, or Islamic concept, all of which fail miserably.

I think there is logic behind one god concept v multiple gods- if you don't see it that way, fair enough.

I gave an explanation that one would need to then have a situation of finding a cause for the cause- for the cause-for the cause ad infinitum.

Where does it all start then?

An example you can use is if you're a sniper- waiting for the go ahead to fire, you have to ask the person behind you to get go ahead- but he has to ask someone higher to get the go ahead- and that person has to ask another and so on- will the sniper ever shoot? No.

So I see that if we are looking at a unique creator, it has to be uncaused as otherwise we have no platform to begin from.

As for pantheism, it does not make it any simple, you are then saying the creation created itself- and the Creation is the Creator.

How does this explain the ordering of a finite universe, and what rational evidence is there to support such a claim?

Edited by Guest