Do you believe in God?

Do you believe in God?  

374 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in God?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Willing to be convinced

There is stronger evidence to support a belief in God then the contrary.
There is no evidence to support either belief.

There is however, plenty of evidence that the bible was written by a primitive tribe of mortals in the middle east a few short millennia ago, and consequently that Judaism, and the two most popular plagiarisms of it Christianity and Islam, are all man made religions.

Besides my position right now is not that there is definitely no god, simply that there is no logical argument for the existence of one. You have failed to see this distinction.

With all its advances to attempt to prove otherwise wouldn't you have expected science to have come up with an answer by now, after all this time?
Which attempts would those be?

And in any case, no you wouldn't have expected anyone to have been able to prove that gods do not exist because it is impossible to prove a negative like that.

---------- Post added 07-04-2013 at 17:51 ----------

1. Historical documents handed down through the centuries.

Which historical documents?

There is no evidence to support either belief.

There is however, plenty of evidence that the bible was written by a primitive tribe of mortals in the middle east a few short millennia ago, and consequently that Judaism, and the two most popular plagiarisms of it Christianity and Islam, are all man made religions.

Besides my position right now is not that there is definitely no god, simply that there is no logical argument for the existence of one. You have failed to see this distinction.

Which attempts would those be?

And in any case, no you wouldn't have expected anyone to have been able to prove that gods do not exist because it is impossible to prove a negative like that.

Show me the evidence you refer to in your first comment.

All scientific research that attempts to prove the world was created naturally without a designer.

"Which historical documents" - the books contained in the bible.

There is stronger evidence to support a belief in God then the contrary.With all its advances to attempt to prove otherwise wouldn't you have expected science to have come up with an answer by now, after all this time?

---------- Post added 07-04-2013 at 16:49 ----------

Don't be silly.

Re bib. That must count as one of the daftest claims ever made. There is ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE that God exists. He/she/it may exist, but there is no evidence. Of course, anyone is free to believe in he/she/its existence, but that is not evidence based. There's still no evidence that he/she/it does exist.

All scientific research that attempts to prove the world was created naturally without a designer.

Those documents are historical..not historical evidence..other than historically they exist.

In a thousand years historical evidence will also exist but there is no scientific proof other than a kids book was produced a thousand years ago.

Edited by ronthenekred

How old do you think the earth is?

The numerous similarities with other older myths, the numerous internal contradictions, the numerous false statements.

More so, consider this, paraphrased from the late great Christopher Hitchens:

Let’s say that the consensus is that our species, being the higher primates, Homo Sapiens, has been on the planet for at least 100,000 years, maybe more. In order to be a Christian, you have to believe that for 98,000 years, our species suffered and died, most of its children dying in childbirth, most other people having a life expectancy of about 25 years, dying of their teeth. Famine, struggle, bitterness, war, suffering, misery, all of that for 98,000 years. Heaven watches this with complete indifference. And then 4000 years ago, thinks “That’s enough of that. It’s time to intervene,” and the best way to do this would be by condemning someone to a human sacrifice somewhere in the less literate parts of the Middle East. Don’t lets appeal to the Chinese, for example, where people can read and study evidence and have a civilization. Let’s go to the desert and have a revelation there.

What are you talking about? Which scientific research?

No serious scientist is out there trying to prove such a thing.

Do you really think that scientists in their labs are huddled together scratching their heads saying to each other 'so how do we disprove god then?' :hihi:

You put forward the bible as evidence for the existence of god?

Then I put forward the Hindu scriptures as proof of the existence of many gods.

Oh wait, no they can't both be true. Therefore we must conclude that having some old books that say something is not good enough evidence.

Edited by flamingjimmy

Re bib. That must count as one of the daftest claims ever made. There is ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE that God exists. He/she/it may exist, but there is no evidence. Of course, anyone is free to believe in he/she/its existence, but that is not evidence based. There's still no evidence that he/she/it does exist.
Smarter people then you and I have believed it.

Those documents are historical..not historical evidence..other than historically they exist.

In a thousand years historical evidence will also exist but there is no scientific proof other than a kids book was produced a thousand years ago.

You appear to have a firm belief in what you state, can you prove it?

How old do you think the earth is?

I think its around a billion years old, why do you ask?

The numerous similarities with other older myths, the numerous internal contradictions, the numerous false statements.

More so, consider this, paraphrased from the late great Christopher Hitchens:

Let’s say that the consensus is that our species, being the higher primates, Homo Sapiens, has been on the planet for at least 100,000 years, maybe more. In order to be a Christian, you have to believe that for 98,000 years, our species suffered and died, most of its children dying in childbirth, most other people having a life expectancy of about 25 years, dying of their teeth. Famine, struggle, bitterness, war, suffering, misery, all of that for 98,000 years. Heaven watches this with complete indifference. And then 4000 years ago, thinks “That’s enough of that. It’s time to intervene,” and the best way to do this would be by condemning someone to a human sacrifice somewhere in the less literate parts of the Middle East. Don’t lets appeal to the Chinese, for example, where people can read and study evidence and have a civilization. Let’s go to the desert and have a revelation there.

What are you talking about? Which scientific research?

No serious scientist is out there trying to prove such a thing.

Do you really think that scientists in their labs are huddled together scratching their heads saying to each other 'so how do we disprove god then?' :hihi:

You put forward the bible as evidence for the existence of god?

Then I put forward the Hindu scriptures as proof of the existence of many gods.

Oh wait, no they can't both be true. Therefore we must conclude that having some old books that say something is not good enough evidence.

What has that quote from Christopher Hitchens have to do with that earlier comment you made,and the question I asked?

I'm a Christian,i have a only a vague knowledge of Hinduism.

One thing I do know is that their beliefs are as diverse as Christians and many of them worship Jesus as a great prophet,believing that the very first Christian apostles were telling the truth.

Do you believe in the existence of those apostles Peter & Paul for instance?