Do you believe in God?

Do you believe in God?  

374 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in God?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Willing to be convinced

I don't know if I do or don't. The sensible level head part of me can't take in what we're told that's supposed to have happened, especially some of the things in the Bible..:)

Though I would never tell anyone they were wrong in their beliefs, a lot of people have a need for some kind of faith...:)

Well it seems you obviously know more than the prevailent theory, in that case I don't really see much point in continuing this as you've obviously already made your mind up.

The universe is everything that exists, and if it isn’t infinite then nothing must be possible, inventing the possibility of nothing to explain the universe is no different to inventing a God. We have no evidence that nothing or God are possible, we do have evidence that the universe can exist. If I am going to assume something, then it may as well be that which we know can exist.

Edited by MrSmith

We don't know. We're still waiting to find out where that first particle of matter sprung from, that started it all off?

I'm comfortable with "we don't know", what I'm not comfortable with is "how can something come from nothing" which is sort of what you're hinting at with your second sentence.

We know "something" exists, and whilst we don't know how it's current properties came about we can investigate. Cool.

It is not useful to assert "nothing", which has never been observed and we don't know is possible, and then explain it away by introducing god. That is simply introducing two unnecessary improbabilities. It's far far more convoluted than accepting "something" exists.

Going to watch the video link provided by six45ive now.

The universe is everything that exists, and if it isn’t infinite then nothing must be possible, inventing the possibility of nothing to explain the universe is no different to inventing a God. We have no evidence that nothing or God exists or can exist, we do have evidence that the universe can exist. If I am going to assume something, then it may as well be that which we know can exist.

that's funny because I would say exactly the same about someone who feels the need to believe in an eternal universe simply because they can't accept the possibility of nothing even though we have no evidence, at all, of what existed 'before' the big bang.

The difference between us is I have no idea, whereas you seem to be sure you are right.

I really am signing off now, this seems a little pointless.

I'm comfortable with "we don't know", what I'm not comfortable with is "how can something come from nothing" which is sort of what you're hinting at with your second sentence.

We know "something" exists, and whilst we don't know how it's current properties came about we can investigate. Cool.

It is not useful to assert "nothing", which has never been observed and we don't know is possible, and then explain it away by introducing god. That is simply introducing two unnecessary improbabilities. It's far far more convoluted than accepting "something" exists.

Going to watch the video link provided by six45ive now.

I've seen the video.

that's funny because I would say exactly the same about someone who feels the need to believe in an eternal universe simply because they can't accept the possibility of nothing even though we have no evidence, at all, of what existed 'before' the big bang.

The difference between us is I have no idea, whereas you seem to be sure you are right.

It’s not like there are infinite possibilities, there are just two, the universe as always existed and we have evidence that it is possible. Or there was nothing for an eternity and then the universe popped into existence, we have no evidence that nothing is possible or that something can come from nothing.

I'm making an educated guess based on what we know is possible.

In most of these threads the anti God posters are positive in their assertions of the evolution process but can not prove it or explain how it started only speculate.

But they will dismiss the possibility of a God (in whatever form) with certainty.

As I have said throughout this thread no one knows the answers and it is only by keeping an open mind to all possibilities that we can choose which theory we prefer to choose at this time but be prepared to accept an alternative if positive proof emerges in the future.