Do you believe in God?

Do you believe in God?  

374 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in God?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Willing to be convinced

Good is love, Evil is hate...thats my definition.

If we assume that God exists and is omnipotent, able to do anything, then he must be both good and evil at the same time. If God as the power to prevent evil, and chooses not to then God must also be evil.

If I see something bad happening and it is within my power to prevent it, I will prevent it, which would make me better than your God.

That just won't do. Does 'Good' not exist outside of love? What is 'love'? What is evil? One man's love is another man's poison.

Surprisingly they are both human emotions, which then leaves the conclusion that God is the manifestation of human emotions and is different to everyone and only exists in the minds of humans, just like love and hate. :)

Then again, though 'nothing' might not be possible, equally, it might be possible.

Maybe nothing once was the case and maybe our 'something' did come from it?

The fact that nothing has never been observed in no way means it never existed.

That’s a contradiction which makes it impossible, nothing can't exist, because if it exists it is something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by onewheeldave View Post

Then again, though 'nothing' might not be possible, equally, it might be possible.

That’s a contradiction which makes it impossible, nothing can't exist, because if it exists it is something.

Because I am dyslexic I may spell words incorrectly, type the wrong word or even miss a word out, please feel free to point my errors out.

Does it Matter if "you believe in God"? We are all going to live, we are all going to die...and existence, I think, proves this...doesn't it?

I still believe in Dog....but Dog no longer believes in me.

Does it Matter if "you believe in God"? We are all going to live, we are all going to die...and existence, I think, proves this...doesn't it?

I still believe in Dog....but Dog no longer believes in me.

No! unless your belief in God affects other people, then it does matter.

Why not?

because it's just rediculous to think that there's some great 'being' watching over us...

Just like those that don't believe there could be other life forms out there, we'd be really conceited to believe that we are worthy of such a thing for a start...

and pure progression of humanity is another line of proof, if there was indeed a god, then 'it' would have created us and the earth the best possible, so we wouldn't want for anything, wouldn't need to progress technology, wouldn't get ill etc...

I get the message, but whats the point but of having a thread like this if a moderator on a forum posts a comment telling you your ridiculous for having a belief in God. Its hardly likely to encourage anyone who shares my view to take part in this kind of debate is it? I'm not saying i expect a moderator to be impartial and i certainly don't expect people to agree with me,i never have. If i expected that i wouldn't take part in this type of discussion.I know i'm not supposed to criticise you in your position,but i just think think its justified in this case.As for your comment about conceit, there is nothing conceited about having a belief,( or not having belief either) thats not what conceit is. Conceit is about the way you assert your views and the manner in which you do that.

That's irrelevant. I'm not claiming anything about the possibility or otherwise of nothing.

However, many so called "sophisticated" arguments for god begin with the premise "let's agree that something can't come from nothing". That's the claim, right there, that nothing is possible.

It's argument from ignorance at best, and outright dishonesty at worse. When it is used by religious apologists as the foundation of their arguments for god, people like William Lane Craig, it is more likely the latter.

Something is demonstrably provable, it exists and it is also possible that it has always been.

It is useless to assert a thing that we don't know is possible (nothing), and then explain it away with another thing that we don't know is possible (god), just to explain the thing that we know exists (something) in the first place. It's convoluted nonsense.

I get the message, but whats the point but of having a thread like this if a moderator on a forum posts a comment telling you your ridiculous for having a belief in God. Its hardly likely to encourage anyone who shares my view to take part in this kind of debate is it? I'm not saying i expect a moderator to be impartial and i certainly don't expect people to agree with me,i never have. If i expected that i wouldn't take part in this type of discussion.I know i'm not supposed to criticise you in your position,but i just think think its justified in this case.As for your comment about conceit, there is nothing conceited about having a belief,( or not having belief either) thats not what conceit is. Conceit is about the way you assert your views and the manner in which you do that.

If a moderator comments on a thread it doesn't necessarily mean they're the one that's moderating it. You're more than entitled to criticise a moderator's comment if you so wish.

As for being conceited, is it more conceited to spend years researching a natural phenomenon to find out what's happening and why by looking at the evidence, forming a consensus of opinion and coming to a conclusion that's presented as fact or is it more conceited to interpret ancient manuscripts in a way that fits with your metaphysical state for the sole purpose of providing you with solice and a moral code that religious people seek to impose on others?

Edited by six45ive

In most of these threads the anti God posters are positive in their assertions of the evolution process but can not prove it or explain how it started only speculate.

But they will dismiss the possibility of a God (in whatever form) with certainty.

As I have said throughout this thread no one knows the answers and it is only by keeping an open mind to all possibilities that we can choose which theory we prefer to choose at this time but be prepared to accept an alternative if positive proof emerges in the future.

Until such time as a coherent, falsifiable definition of God is produced then the term 'God' is meaningless can be safely dismissed.

jb