Do you believe in God?

Do you believe in God?  

374 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in God?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Willing to be convinced

I'm still waiting for Mr Harveytroll to define god.

No trolling just amazed that many can discount something out of hand when there is no proof of an alternative.

Strong theories but not proof and until we discover how it all started we will not know the answer or be able o define God.

Anyhow this debate is going nowhere and so I will move on.

No trolling just amazed that many can discount something out of hand when there is no proof of an alternative.

Strong theories but not proof and until we discover how it all started we will not know the answer or be able o define God.

Anyhow this debate is going nowhere and so I will move on.

Are you saying that you can't define something you believe in?

Do you believe in God?

If not, why not. If you do, why do you?

And please, lets keep this respectful to others

Supposedly this all powerful being (who / what created her / him?), is so perfect that every word written about them should be devoutly followed, yet 3,000 years ago there was no mention of a single god, rather numerous gods for each and every thing. Then it decided to unify, with a whole new story about the creation of the world (not universe), then a thousand years later all that was written before was changed because it was wrong, then 800 years later once again it formed another new variation which really was incompatible with what had gone before, never mind that since then others have claimed other new commandments.

I like to think of myself as a free thinker, not bound by rules made up by normal human beings in a society many many generations ago.

What would happen if we get down on our knees and pray to God in this way:

Dear God, almighty, all-powerful, all-loving creator of the universe, we pray to you to cure every case of cancer on this planet tonight. We pray in faith, knowing you will bless us as you describe in Matthew 7:7, Matthew 17:20, Matthew 21:21, Mark 11:24, John 14:12-14, Matthew 18:19 and James 5:15-16. In Jesus' name we pray, Amen.

We pray sincerely, knowing that when God answers this completely heartfelt, unselfish, non-materialistic prayer, it will glorify God and help millions of people in remarkable ways.

Will anything happen? No. Of course not.

No there doesn't, is watching TV an act of being good or evil? I don't believe that there is a "force" of good either, but if there was, it doesn't mean there also has to be a bad and vice versa. There can simply be a lack of good.

Yes there does (if you believe that way, as I had said)... it's down to subjective interpretation, just as you have done with the underlined bit. I also don't believe in there being a force of good.

The other things you listed I wouldn't categorise in the same way that people may judge good and evil... I would class those as activities that I would either like or dislike to participate in.

As stated many times I do not know but do not dismiss any posibility.

Posters who dismiss God use an argument that if he had created things they would be perfect.

If things including people evolved why weren't faults like disease eliminated in the process ?

As already pointed out they also evolve... but there is a great example just close to us - if you live in Sheffield. The town of Eyam closeby famously had a sniff of plague in the 17th ish century. The plague pretty much wiped out anyone in its path - however, some people survived it. Their offsprings [originally from Eyam] who had been located, were the subject of a fairly recent experiment to test their bloods against this again, and of most of the participants, their bloods were NOT be susceptible to the plague now. This is a great example of selection process in real terms - and should another such plague spread throughout the world, you would see this process in action. It's sometimes [badly] described as 'survival of the fittest', however this term isn't entirely correct.

The other things you listed I wouldn't categorise in the same way that people may judge good and evil... I would class those as activities that I would either like or dislike to participate in.

Just to clarify, are any 'wrongs' punishable? or do you just turn a blind eye to 'disliked' activities?

As stated many times I do not know but do not dismiss any posibility.

And tomorrow, monkeys might fly out of your ass. But I bet you dismiss that possibility as extremely unlikely - or impossible.

Posters who dismiss God use an argument that if he had created things they would be perfect.

I dismiss the claim that god exists for many reasons. If an atheist uses the 'if he had created things they would be perfect' argument, then it's an argument based on previous claims made by theists that god is perfect.

If things including people evolved why weren't faults like disease eliminated in the process ?

Because evolution isn't concerned about eliminating disease. If you have a disease, and survive long enough to pass on your genes, that disease isn't going to be eliminated.