Do you believe in God?

Do you believe in God?  

374 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in God?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Willing to be convinced

I used to but he deserted me when i needed him the most, left me alone to deal with something that i was emotionally,physically or spiritually prepared to deal with...

The scars are still present :(

God loves everyone.....my Ar8e!

And yet you're still here. What do you think God should with all of us who are going through hard times? Wrap us all in cotton wool so we don't suffer? Or maybe you think that Christians should not have bad times at all? Show me a Christian without scars. What a boring existence that would be with no experiences to make us grow emotionally & give us knowledge and understanding, possibly to help others through similar experiences or even to prepare ourselves for the next thing life throws at us.

Paul may have had an ephinany on the road to Damascus, but I travelled in the opposite direction, when during a personal crisis I found that god wasn't answering my prayers.

That sounds an awful lot like "God didn't make it work out the way *I* wanted it to?"

God is within us. We are our own Gods.:)

I like that definition, I think its a similiar concept to what is sometimes referred to as the Holy Spirit, God within , without necessary having a religious connotation. Being a mysterious presence that is open to believer or non-believer. Something beyond understanding.

It is interesting how God gives us a choice about whether to believe in him or not. He takes no active part whatsoever in the lives of the special people he created but several of them do seem to have very clear views (and often conflicting) about what God wants of us.

The fact that God remains quiet throughout all of this controvosy, which has led to many people dying over matters of faith, means that he is simply not worthy of my worship should I choose to believe in his exiastence.

Do you believe in God?

If not, why not. If you do, why do you?

And please, lets keep this respectful to others

I would like to think there is more than we can see. Just because nobody has got God's email address doesn't mean he isn't somewhere if not everywhere. I know people who have faith in God and that gives them a strength they can draw on in tough times. I don't have that faith but many times I wish I did.

That belief and faith is between them and their God. I can respect that. Where I have a problem is with organised religion. I find the idea that a man can claim to speak for God and tell another man what God is thinking and how He expects us all to believe, what to eat and drink and how to dress is utterly absurd and, as we have seen, very very dangerous. All I would ask of all religions is the freedom to choose to believe in any God or not. I am very tired of all their "My God's bigger and better than your God" c**p.

We are built to have a belief in something greater than ourselves, and an emptiness without it.

Beliefs take form through experience, need, and knowledge -flawed or not.

Some of us may feel the need to believe in something greater than ourselves, others do not. Not having that need doesn't leave an emptiness - and neither does it mean you aren't fully rounded or complete.

I don't believe in a god - and I don't have a need to believe in a god. That doesn't leave an emptiness because the need isn't there.

We all seek meaning, a purpose, a point to it all.

I'm sure most of us do. But that doesn't mean we all go about that in the same way. For example, some of us use tangible evidence and reason to come to a conclusion about why we exist and whether there is a purpose to it all. Others rely on wishful thinking and poor evidence(if any) to come to their conclusions.

I do not believe that children brought up in isolation, away from any 'god culture' would somehow suddenly develop a diety other than if they felt the need to control subordinates with the threat of a higher intelligence punishing them if certain laws weren't adhered to.

Indeed, I believe that brought up in isolation by mom and dad, the child would, when in fear of it's safety, shout, "Mom/dad help me!" as opposed to the kid from the outside world who says, "God help me!" simply because he was brought up hearing it.

And yet you're still here. What do you think God should with all of us who are going through hard times? Wrap us all in cotton wool so we don't suffer? Or maybe you think that Christians should not have bad times at all? Show me a Christian without scars. What a boring existence that would be with no experiences to make us grow emotionally & give us knowledge and understanding, possibly to help others through similar experiences or even to prepare ourselves for the next thing life throws at us.

I am here through sheer instinct to survive...

I prayed to god many times to lessen the load but he must have been busy.

:(