Titanic, 100 years today

100 years today, a small part of of the world changed.

Engineers gained a bit of respect.

When this massive ship went down, all engineers reamined at their posts.

The Bridge telegraphs were at 'Stop Engines' therefore all Officers and crew had to stay below.

In the panic 'Finished With Engines' was not rung so the Engieers stayed at their posts.

As time went on and it became that the ship was lost. the crew were ordered topside.

But all engineers stayed with the ship, and gave their lives.

So non of the engineers survived?

Non of the Engineers survived.

They stayed at at their posts, and went down with the ship.

That is why the ship sank with all the lights on, because the engineers were maninnig their posts.

Very sad 1500 people died, But why are we going on about this particular sinking 100 years after it happened? There have been numerous wars, a flu epidemic that wiped out millions, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, what is so special about Titanic?

Why do we revel in his sentimentality?

100 years today, a small part of of the world changed.

Engineers gained a bit of respect.

When this massive ship went down, all engineers reamined at their posts.

The Bridge telegraphs were at 'Stop Engines' therefore all Officers and crew had to stay below.

In the panic 'Finished With Engines' was not rung so the Engieers stayed at their posts.

As time went on and it became that the ship was lost. the crew were ordered topside.

But all engineers stayed with the ship, and gave their lives.

A friend of mine on Facebook commented the other day what her 18 year old daughter said. "Why is everyone going on about that Titanic alately? Is it a year since it sank?"....:hihi:

Very sad 1500 people died, But why are we going on about this particular sinking 100 years after it happened? There have been numerous wars, a flu epidemic that wiped out millions, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, what is so special about Titanic?

Perhaps because nothing was particularly heroric about the things you mention?

Parts of it were made in this city as well. The self-propeller shafts or the propellers themselves were made here I think.

I agree with Xenia though. Its somewhat mawkish that we romanticize this particular sinking and loss of life the way we do.

I think the enduring fascination with the Titanic disaster has many elements. There is no denying that it is one of the most famous ship wrecks in the world. You ask someone to name a ship that sunk and the answer is nearly always 'Titanic'. The circumstances of the disaster as well as the great loss of life (7th largest in peacetime) and the fact that this happened to the then worlds largest ship on it's maiden voyage are all factors. The discovery of the wreck site in 1985 and the subsequent artefact exhibitions also firmly put the Titanic story back in people's minds. I think what really did it though was Cameron's 'Titanic' movie and the huge media circus that followed.

I think it's right that the 100th anniversary of the Titanic disaster should be commemorated as many of the ship design standards we have today result directly from the recommendations following the Titanic enquiries e.g. enough life boat spaces for all crew and passengers. We also have the International Ice Patrol operating to this day in the North Atlantic as a direct result of this disaster.

It will be interesting to see whether the 100th anniversary of the Lusitania disaster will be commemorated in 2015.

Archived