Morals and principles

My bold. You need to explain why the older generation of the past kept electing Conservative governments. Was it, for example, because they believed Harold MacMillan when he said 'You've never had it so good'?

not all conservative governments were bad, things only went downhill in the late 70's.

not all conservative governments were bad, things only went downhill in the late 70's.

We didn't have a Conservative government in the late 70s.

We did have a national bankruptcy and were forced to go begging to the IMF, but that was the result of about thirty years of appallingly bad governmental polices, not just the fault of the government of the day.

looking at past and present governments and how they look after their own, can we now see that the youth of today are only looking after themselves. they have no jobs/job security/ banks wont lend to them. why should they feel the urge to pay into a pension pot that wont sustain them in later life because of mismanagement by people who were there to be trusted and look after their money.(remember murdoch i wonder where that money went)

oh yes we did, that horrible women and her cronies came into power on 3rd may 1979, that's late 70's to me

Fair point. But the bankruptcy, economic disaster, mass strike action, thirty-per-plus inflation rates, and three decades of economic policy aimed at driving all our industries into collapse, all happened before that date. That was when we finally got a government intent on reversing the damage.

Were governments really better in times past. Were the governments of Asquith and Lloyd-George morally better in any way? Hardly not. They got Britain into a deadly conflict that lasted four long years and caused over 800,000 British casualties before it ended

Fair point. But the bankruptcy, economic disaster, mass strike action, thirty-per-plus inflation rates, and three decades of economic policy aimed at driving all our industries into collapse, all happened before that date. That was when we finally got a government intent on reversing the damage.
oh yea we got a government that closed down the pits/steelworks/sold off industrys what we had left to foreign countries who soon pushed up the price of things ( yea good old maggie):hihi:

years ago the older generation had morals and principals, they also had a work ethic instilled in them to better themselves fast forward to today

Do you mean the previous governments used to instill a work ethic in people?

. we have a gov thats only interested in looking after its own,they avoid paying taxes,

The government avoid paying taxes? If they do, then show the country (and me) and they won't get voted back in (unless other governments/politicians did/do the same).

they are taking away the rights of the working man/woman. what would the older generation of the past now think of the present government? why should the younger generation of today try to better themselves when they look at this corrupt and incompetant government and think what have they done for me ?

I'm a working person, what rights have I had taken away from me? There must be some if you say so, I just haven't noticed myself. I just want to know.

Do you mean the previous governments used to instill a work ethic in people?

The government avoid paying taxes? If they do, then show the country (and me) and they won't get voted back in (unless other governments/politicians did/do the same).

I'm a working person, what rights have I had taken away from me? There must be some if you say so, I just haven't noticed myself. I just want to know.

i see what your doing by a bit of nit picking but it wont change what i said. while were on the political correctness theme remember that old saying " its better to be thought of as a fool than to type one s answer and remove all doubt":hihi:

i see what your doing by a bit of nit picking but it wont change what i said. while were on the political correctness theme remember that old saying " its better to be thought of as a fool than to type one s answer and remove all doubt":hihi:

I'm not nit-picking, and I haven't tried to change what you said. I asked 3 basic questions. Aren't you able to answer them?

Can you answer them or not? Or are you doing the usual 'throw an insult in' to avoid answering.

Archived