Morals and principles

We had our morals and principles systematically and maliciously taken off of us by the wicked witch of Grantham. She set people on the slippery slide of every man or woman for themselves. She broke the working class spirit and successive governments of all parties have maintained that while lining their own pockets. We have reaped the whirlwind of what that evil cow did without compassion or regret. The lady is not for turning:rant::rant::rant::rant: I know where I used to put her effigy on the 5th of November

We had our morals and principles systematically and maliciously taken off of us by the wicked witch of Grantham. She set people on the slippery slide of every man or woman for themselves. She broke the working class spirit and successive governments of all parties have maintained that while lining their own pockets. We have reaped the whirlwind of what that evil cow did without compassion or regret. The lady is not for turning:rant::rant::rant::rant: I know where I used to put her effigy on the 5th of November

Which morals did Thatcher steal from you?

Can you answer them or not? Or are you doing the usual 'throw an insult in' to avoid answering.

I too am a working man and I don't think I've noticed any of my rights being taken away. I too would like the OP to explain which rights he thinks have been stolen.

Which morals did Thatcher steal from you?

I was talking generally not personally. I haven't given up helping my friends and neighbours but I see what is around me and the take what you want whether it belongs to someone else or not emanated from those times and has snowballed over the years. Not to mention that the wages and the jobs have eroded as well. I have been one of lucky ones who has managed to stay in work but it hasn't been easy

I too am a working man and I don't think I've noticed any of my rights being taken away. I too would like the OP to explain which rights he thinks have been stolen.

Do you think you are better off now than pre 1979 because I know I'm not.

Fair point. But the bankruptcy, economic disaster, mass strike action, thirty-per-plus inflation rates, and three decades of economic policy aimed at driving all our industries into collapse, all happened before that date. That was when we finally got a government intent on reversing the damage.

it's a shame that the failed so miserably then

My bold. You need to explain why the older generation of the past kept electing Conservative governments. Was it, for example, because they believed Harold MacMillan when he said 'You've never had it so good'?

Ask an old person. There are lots of them around.

My relative in his late 80's still thinks governments are basically honest and benign, and working in the best interests of the people.

I think older people still have a certain-in built respect for the upper classes. They still think what they read in the papers and see on the telly are true, and have no access to the internet for another point of view.

Even the Conservatives (and governments in general) are only just coming to terms with the internet age and realising that is a force to be reckoned with.

They cannot get away so easily with lying to the people, when groups such as annonymous are on their tail.

I don't agree. I'm not political, but there were ordinary people who did well during Mrs Thatcher's time as prime minister. They just weren't the same ordinary people who had done well under Harold Wilson's regime. ;)

I'm much better off as a retired person than my mother was. She'd lived through two wars, and my dad was in the army for the whole of WWII. He worked for the same company from being 17 to his death in 1963 at 59 . My mum was 55 when the company gave her his 'superannuation' of just over £2k. I was 17 at the time and it seemed like a lot of money. (Using average earnings it would be about £70k today.) She had her widow's pension, and she took a housekeeping job to try to preserve her nest egg for her old age, but inflation in the 70s took care of it for her. :roll: Something to do with huge wage increases (for some) if I remember correctly.

As a nowadays pensioner I'm much better off. We own our own home, we can afford to heat it, have the odd holiday and run a car. My parents never owned their home. If we hadn't been able to provide for ourselves, the government would be giving us pension credit and paying our rent, and we'd not be much worse off. So yes, I think some people are better off nowadays.

When was "previously" and when did "now" start?

Since ricgem originally wrote 'years ago the older generations', then only he/she can answer that for sure. But I think that it must sometime after the industrial revolution. It would make no sense to mean any period of time previous to that.

As for 'now', ricgem wrote 'today'.

years ago the older generation had morals and principals, they also had a work ethic instilled in them to better themselves fast forward to today.

Archived