Morals and principles

how many young people today do you think will be saving for their pensions? how many will be able to buy their own homes ?with the current financial mess this country is in when do you think banks will start lending to young employed people to be able to step on the property ladder?

I'd imagine that young people who are public sector employees will continue to save for pensions. Those in very well paid private sector careers too. But anyone expecting to only get a small pension would be daft to save, as the introduction of pension credit has removed that incentive - as some of my generation have already found out to their cost.

People will still be able to buy homes, only not at such a young age and with such accessible mortages as they did for a while. We have recently gone though a period where people have been taking on mortgages they couldn't afford, often borrowing more than the property value. That has ended in disaster for many. Saving for a bigger deposit is nothing new, building societies insisted on that when we bought our first house in the 70s.

(WW I)

My bold. You need to explain why the older generation of the past kept electing Conservative governments. Was it, for example, because they believed Harold MacMillan when he said 'You've never had it so good'?
We believed it at the time because it happened to be true. After a long post war period of austerity, where the labour government in power was against home ownership, and car ownership, Harold MacMillan's government was like a breath of fresh air. You were able to buy a car or a house at 10 percent down. Business boomed until Wilson's lot got back in, and ruined it all. I'm here as a direct result of it. I came out to Canada and was able to buy a house within a year with only 400 quid in my pocket to buy and furnish it. In the 43 years I've been out here I've always owned my own home.

My bold. You need to explain why the older generation of the past kept electing Conservative governments. Was it, for example, because they believed Harold MacMillan when he said 'You've never had it so good'?
We believed it at the time because it happened to be true. After a long post war period of austerity, where the labour government in power was against home ownership, and car ownership, Harold MacMillan's government was like a breath of fresh air. You were able to buy a car or a house at 10 percent down. Business boomed until Wilson's lot got back in, and ruined it all.

Come again? :confused:

The government avoid paying taxes? If they do, then show the country (and me) and they won't get voted back in (unless other governments/politicians did/do the same).

I read that as "if the government dont pay taxes, and we know about it, they wont get voted in unless other governments also avoid paying tax"

Maybe I misinterpreted your post?

I read that as "if the government dont pay taxes, and we know about it, they wont get voted in unless other governments also avoid paying tax"

Maybe I misinterpreted your post?

Yes, you did. Perhaps I didn't word it well, but I'm still not sure how you concluded that I would think murder and rape is ok though based on anything that I wrote:confused:. What have either of them got to do with what I wrote? (you didn't highlight in the quote which bit you were referring to either, which didn't help)

The government avoid paying taxes? If they do, then show the country (and me) and they won't get voted back in (unless other governments and/or opposing politicians did/do the same).

Re-worded in bold...

The government avoid paying taxes? (are the government avoiding paying taxes?)

If they do, then show the country (and me) and they won't get voted back in (if they are, then prove it, and that should sink the government)

(unless other governments/politicians did/do the same). (unless of course it has been going on with other previous governments/ or other politicians from opposing parties are up to the same thing) - which as far as fiddling goes, we already know many individuals were pushing boundaries of legalitites - hence pointless him/her posting a link to a Tory politician claiming expenses more than they morally should, because it can easily be counter-claimed

:)

Archived