Electric induction hob

HI thinking of getting an elec induction hob. Sales man just about convinced me how good they are. Not as fast as gas but a lot cleaner Cost about £500 with 5 year guaratee. Point is are they as good as he makes out says they hardly sell any other type now :)

I love my induction hob, I think it is as fast as gas. I can set the timer to turn the hob off in say 4 mins if I get distracted.

I needed a new frying pan and wok as my old ones didn't work on the induction.

The only down side is that when frying an egg, when you tilt the pan to spoon the hot fat over the top of the egg, the power cuts off whilst there is no contact but resumes once you put it down again, but once you are used to that you forget it was ever a problem.....as it isn't a problem just different.

Another friend who has one does not like how if you boil the pan over the water may run onto your work surface........however it also doesnt put out the gas flame leaving the gas on but not lit.

I also can 't set fire to the tea towel anymore :o

Like I say, I love mine.

I looked into them but lots of the hobs pulse so you set it to a temp/level and the hob will pulse rather than supply one constant level of heat like gas.

This can be annoying when cooking, kind of like the old electric hobs.

HI thinking of getting an elec induction hob. Sales man just about convinced me how good they are. Not as fast as gas but a lot cleaner Cost about £500 with 5 year guaratee. Point is are they as good as he makes out says they hardly sell any other type now :)

I've had a Fagor one for around 2 years.

Things I love

Wipes clean

Instant heat.

Flat surface that's stable for pans

Things that irritate.

Touch controls keep getting covered by edges of pans and set other rings going.

Can't scrape a knob of butter into a pan as it won't melt and stays on the edge for 10 minutes

You can't tilt pans as the heat goes off.

Need special pans.

On balance I'm glad we bought one.

I got mine from Sheffield Kitchen Outlet on Carlisle Street. After shopping around a lot I found them way cheaper than anywhere else.

Archived