Dog's off lead's

palascrubs

That is the owners failure, not the flexi. you are stereotyping flexi users in a way and it would be worse if they didnt have a flexi as they would just let them run free and still have no control.

i find the training line exhausting, as necessary as it is for training. but it is for training - not for general use.

of course flexis arent for everyone. if i used one for alice my cocker, she would just walk at the end of it because she is used to being off lead. skye is used to the flexi and she has accepted that she is on it when the others arent

You're quite right it is stereotyping, but as i said 90% of the dog owners i see using retractables use it in a manner that is not suitable. The option of not having a flexi is not allowing a dog to run free but to walk the dog on the lead,train it to behave or walk and allow free running away from where the owner thinks there may be trouble.

She is? Funny, she never mentioned that.
I hate flexileads, letting a dog run round with a rubbishy bit of garotting string attached to its neck? Daft and dangerous.

Indeed, that also gives you better control, although my parents have stopped using a chest harness an use a nose lead harness so he can't pull (as hard).

It gives bog all control actually. He's only ever on a flexi to fulfill the requirements of a dog being on a lead round sheep at lambing season - as he's not a sheep worrier anyway. It doesn't work on a halti when you have a scent hound. The damned thing just knits itself round his front legs as he weaves a path on a scent

More appropriate for what, if they aren't going to be let off then it isn't more appropriate to give them some exercise is it!

You can get longer training/tracking leads than you can flexis, and have more control

You just enjoy being contrary without giving it any serious thought. Long or short, the lead is a restraint is see no benefit in retractable for a small dog much less a Weimeraner.

What is dog behaviour?

No, I just find that when people start stereotyping and being intolerant that I want to point it out.

You may see no benefit, that's fine, you use a short lead then, clearly there are a lot of dog owners here that do see a benefit, and I'm one of them.

I'm not sure what world you believe a Weimaraner is a small dog though... 25 - 27 inches tall at the withers is the breed standard.

You're quite right it is stereotyping, but as i said 90% of the dog owners i see using retractables use it in a manner that is not suitable. The option of not having a flexi is not allowing a dog to run free but to walk the dog on the lead,train it to behave or walk and allow free running away from where the owner thinks there may be trouble.

That may be true but can be said for many other problems with dog walkers being irresponsible.

eg, i was out with bella (one yr old great dane) yesterday on her training line, practising the recall exercises my trainer had given me and she was doing really well. on the last stretch of the country park, she saw a dog she had met a few months ago, a collie cross that had been rescued.

it was off lead and was disobeying his owner and running around winding bella up when its owner was trying to call it back. all of bellas progress was lost as she wanted to play with this dog and stopped listening to me again. i was possibly in my rights to have a go at this woman but i didnt. i went over and helped her get her dog back so she could put it in her car. then she let it go again and smiled whilst it ran around winding bella up all over again and told me the dog had caused her and her husband to split up.

that is a prime example of the owners i experience. if she had had him on a flexi, that would have been a much better situation. she has no idea of how irresonsible she is being, she said it was fun watching him play. she has no intention of training him to behave so she would be better using a flexi IMO. but instead, her dog was allowed to cause my dog to regress right back to before i had even started having a trainer help me teach bella recall again, which bella was brilliant at until a few months ago.

Its always quite amusing with doggie subjects how those who use things correctly defend them,whilst those amongst us who experience the bad aspects of them like to condemn them.

The worse scenario is a flexi lead with 3 yorkies attached to it with a splitter attachment. Give me a snarling off lead dog anyday.

So that's it for the potentially aggressive dog, no only never off the lead, but never off a short lead. I can see that you care a lot about making sure that dog has a chance for some exercise and to behave like a dog.

As for this bit, walking on a lead is only a small part of the regime, don't assume that it makes up the entirety. Lead work allows me to teach him at close quarters. I place as much importance on interaction which can be achieved safely in the garden. It's nice to get out and allow him fresh smells and sights and he scores well in this area too. He's fed, he's groomed all of which strengthens the bond, all of which shows my duty of care is met.

I hate flexileads, letting a dog run round with a rubbishy bit of garotting string attached to its neck? Daft and dangerous.

The 'attached to its neck' doesn't seem to be the key emphasis of her statement.

If she'd said "I hate to see flexileads used when attached to the neck" then the statement would have an entirely different tone.

As for this bit, walking on a lead is only a small part of the regime, don't assume that it makes up the entirety. Lead work allows me to teach him at close quarters. I place as much importance on interaction which can be achieved safely in the garden. It's nice to get out and allow him fresh smells and sights and he scores well in this area too. He's fed, he's groomed all of which strengthens the bond, all of which shows my duty of care is met.

I was criticising your care of your own dog. But you don't seem to be thinking about how someone elses circumstances might differ from your own...

How about someone who doesn't have a large enough garden to properly exercise a dog, and who won't allow it off the lead in public because it's behaviour is unpredictable? You still see no purpose to the extending lead for them?

No, I just find that when people start stereotyping and being intolerant that I want to point it out.

You may see no benefit, that's fine, you use a short lead then, clearly there are a lot of dog owners here that do see a benefit, and I'm one of them.

I'm not sure what world you believe a Weimaraner is a small dog though... 25 - 27 inches tall at the withers is the breed standard.

Firstly I've not condemned them personally i've only brought in reasons why they are not particularly liked by others.

Secondly I never said that a Weimaraner was small but I can see why you might have thought that.

Its always quite amusing with doggie subjects how those who use things correctly defend them,whilst those amongst us who experience the bad aspects of them like to condemn them.

The worse scenario is a flexi lead with 3 yorkies attached to it with a splitter attachment. Give me a snarling off lead dog anyday.

Haha then skye is your dog! yorkies are her favourite ;):hihi:

Archived