Dog's off lead's

palascrubs

You brought up injuring their necks and being run over as well... Have they all happened to you?

Maybe you're just really unlucky.

I have to agree here. I've been tangled in as many normal leads as I have flexi...

I don't think it's possible to generalise here; it's more a case of looking at each issue on a case by case basis.

I have a very strong collie cross who loves to get out and about and have a good run.

We used to let him off the lead and play his favorite game of throw the ball in fields at the back of our house. All was well, and he was more than happy to come back when called. That is until one day a staffie on a lead came trotting by. Our Dog ran over to say hello, and probably just wanted to play. However the other dog was startled by our dog's sudden rush at him and begain to get defensive. Within a few seconds there was a full blown scrap, and our usually obedient dog was having none of it.

This incident prompted us to buy a retractable, and a 15ft training lead. Our reasoning for this was that he could still enjoy a fair run about, but if there was any bother we could bring him back in easily.

Our retractable was from Pets at Home, and is made from blue tape/webbing rather than the thin bits of string you find in some retractable leads. Our 15ft training lead is made out of black webbing.

As responsible Dog owners we ensure that we take our dog places where it is safe to let him run. Owing to the lack of wide open fields surrounded by fences and a gate where you could be certain no other dogs or other people would enter, we take him to the local common, but keep him on one lead or the other, so that if someone comes past we can reel him in quckly.

If we walk him by a road, we make sure the flexi is locked to a suitable length whereby he can't run out into the road or cause a nuisance to other people.

As has been said before, it is not the case that everyone who owns a flexi is irrisposible, and flexi leads are not dangerous if used correctly. I would suggest that if someone is allowing their dog to run out into the road, is an irrisponsible owner.

If she won't train a dog i bet she won't use a flexi correctly.

Dog owners are either dicks or they aren't.

Good point.

She struggled to hold onto his collar too, well he actually broke free of her grasp, so probably wouldnt be able to keep hold of a flexi either. There were a few people who saw this whole thing and probably thought it was bellas fault cos she was barking so loud I'm surprised theres not a thread saying 'whos dog was barking yesterday' :hihi: ...it was bella

The title of this thread is at odds with the OPs original comments about walking dogs off lead on main roads so would just like to return to the actual concern. The acerbic post (number eighteen) by Strix in response to my own on the legal situation regarding this has prompted me to do a little more research on the subject.

What the 1988 Act does is to pave the way for local authorities to enact their own bylaws in respect of walking dogs off lead in the environs of a main road. What sometimes happens is that certain roads in a borough are designated as such - whether they are signed or not signed is another matter. Anyway, it is feasible that the off-lead (road) dog walker could use several streets with no problem then walk onto a road that has the bylaw attached to it. As ignorance of the law is no defence it is for the person to do the research.

Another possible scenario is that the person may live within a LA that has no such bylaws only to perhaps move or go on holiday and find him or herself prosecuted because the LA in which they find themselves has enacted such bylaws.

Meanwhile the Highway Code has this to say about the subject:

Dogs. Do not let a dog out on the road on its own. Keep it on a short lead when walking on the pavement, road or path shared with cyclists or horse riders.

There is another law which I cannot reference that states that a dog must be under control in a public place so presumably the off-lead road dog walker could be required to prove that he or she does indeed have control of the animal.

At some point I intend to make more enquiries with my local authority highways department in respect of whether there are any such designated roads in our own borough and if so, where they are.

Has no one ever found that the locking device on the flexi begins to fail? my Mum used them for her dogs and the lock was always unreliable.

I will never believe that a flexi is not dangerous to use on the street...no problems in a park etc, but I would certainly never trust one near traffic, not worth the risk IMO.

The title of this thread is at odds with the OPs original comments about walking dogs off lead on main roads so would just like to return to the actual concern. The acerbic post (number eighteen) by Strix in response to my own on the legal situation regarding this has prompted me to do a little more research on the subject.

What the 1988 Act does is to pave the way for local authorities to enact their own bylaws in respect of walking dogs off lead in the environs of a main road. What sometimes happens is that certain roads in a borough are designated as such - whether they are signed or not signed is another matter. Anyway, it is feasible that the off-lead (road) dog walker could use several streets with no problem then walk onto a road that has the bylaw attached to it. As ignorance of the law is no defence it is for the person to do the research.

Ignorance of the law is not a defence in most criminal cases, but ignorance that you were breaking a law (subtly different) can be. For example if a road is designated as a certain speed but the signs are damaged or missing then that is a valid defence, I expect the same is true of dog walking bye laws, the obligation lies with the council to make it clear that such laws are in force.

Another possible scenario is that the person may live within a LA that has no such bylaws only to perhaps move or go on holiday and find him or herself prosecuted because the LA in which they find themselves has enacted such bylaws.

Meanwhile the Highway Code has this to say about the subject:

There is another law which I cannot reference that states that a dog must be under control in a public place so presumably the off-lead road dog walker could be required to prove that he or she does indeed have control of the animal.

No, the burden almost always lies with the prosecution to prove that a law was broken, not with the defendant to prove that it wasn't.

At some point I intend to make more enquiries with my local authority highways department in respect of whether there are any such designated roads in our own borough and if so, where they are.

Has no one ever found that the locking device on the flexi begins to fail? my Mum used them for her dogs and the lock was always unreliable.

I will never believe that a flexi is not dangerous to use on the street...no problems in a park etc, but I would certainly never trust one near traffic, not worth the risk IMO.

If it 'starts' to fail, you chuck it in the bin when you get home and buy a new one. I've never had one catastrophically fail, but if it did I suppose I'd have to walk home with a long length of lead wrapped around the handle.

You can believe what you like, they are clearly not dangerous when locked off at a short length and in good working order, why you would refuse to believe that is a question for your prejudices to answer I suppose.

If it 'starts' to fail, you chuck it in the bin when you get home and buy a new one. I've never had one catastrophically fail, but if it did I suppose I'd have to walk home with a long length of lead wrapped around the handle.

You can believe what you like, they are clearly not dangerous when locked off at a short length and in good working order, why you would refuse to believe that is a question for your prejudices to answer I suppose.

I have already given pretty good reasons why I don't like them on roads, that is not prejudice, I would class it more as bad experience and fact.

Not everyone will agree about everything no matter how much we are sure that we are right, people have different experiences and until you have a negative one then you will probably think that others are prejudiced.

Lets agree to differ and just hope that the bad experience never comes, or that if it does there are no serious consequences.

You've given examples of their misuse whilst near roads.

but no use if you need security they are not strong in my experience

Disproven.

, they are also just as bad as no lead at all for walking by a road

A problem of the user, not the lead.

, I have seen several dogs wander into the road on them while their owner is busy chatting/looking elsewhere ...a friend of mine actually saw a dog pull forward on one and be killed on a busy road near me.

I'm sure you believe your friend, but I don't know them and 3rd hand evidence isn't very compelling compared to personal experience. But even if it happened, this is again down to not not locking the lead to a sensible length whilst by a road.

There is nothing wrong with the type of lead when used correctly.

Archived